Saturday, September 1, 2012

University - Week One

Ok, this is my second post with the revamped blogger and I still don't like it...

Anyway, I have just finished up my first week at the new university. This first week is always one of the hardest, especially when you're new and don't know anybody. The good news is, my classes are good and I think I'll come to like most of my professors. Here is a list of my classes this semester:

The Courts (class about the court system in the United States)
United States History (from the end of the Civil War to present day)
International Relations
Comparative Politics
Intro to Public Policy

As I said, I think I'll like most of my professors. Two of them have a good sense of humor which helps make a potentially boring class more enjoyable. I have another professor for two classes, he's also my advisor and Political Department chair. He's a good teacher but requires a lot of reading from the textbooks. Normally, it's easy to forget the reading and just listen to the lectures, but he actually requires notes to be taken on the reading which he will collect and grade when we have an exam. The last professor I'm not really sure about... This is only his second year of teaching and it seems like he's still trying to figure out how to teach effectively, which is a pain to deal with.

Someone on Twitter asked me a little bit ago if I like being at the university now instead of the community college I was attending the last two years. There isn't really that much of a difference between the two. Sure, the university is bigger campus-wise and student population-wise, which has it's advantages and disadvantages. Certainly the uni is much more diverse, which is good in my case. My university actually prides itself in being diverse and having the services that promote acceptance and all that stuff.

Speaking of which, I have actually joined the LGBT club/organization. The first meeting is sometime next week. My department is also having a pizza party next week, which should be cool.

Ok, now here is my favorite part of being at the university now: the eye candy :P

The *hottest* guy on grindr (the gay app thing) is actually in one of my classes and majoring in Political Science too! I've actually had my eye on him for a year or so on grindr (never messaged him) but now I actually have the chance to know him in person without having the preconceived mental image of how one might look/act/etc in person that is easy to get when talking online or on an app (and they're usually wrong).

Alright, I think that's enough for one week. I'll make another post next weekend if anything interesting has happened.

4 comments:

JP said...

Good luck during the semester Peter!

Planetx_123 said...

ill be curious to hear your comparison of the quality of the education later in the semester. I think its waaay more teach dependent regardless of comm college vs uni but still will be interesting to hear your general take.

What are the disadvantages of having more students and a bigger campus? parking? seems like a small price to pay ;)

A uni degree will be worth more on your resume. It doesn't always matter that much -- but -- at a small financial cost and the additioanl benefit of being surrounded by lots of other people/ideas-- I think uni is always worth it if you're actually going there to get an education at least. If youre just going for fun/parties then go to comm college so you dont water my degree down.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Joining the LGBT club should expand your horizons. As a young gay in the straight world I always felt like a 'stranger in a strange land'. Having a circle of like-minded friends is important for one's mental health. Keep the focus on your studies; excessive partying will ruin your gpa. - Wayne :)

Your host said...

It sounds an interesting start to uni life. I haven't spoken on twitter for an age and I do miss catching up with you and your refreshing life.

I hope everything is going well for you. Hows that LGBT group going? So many other questions I could about what it is all like.