Well, that's 5 semesters down, 3 more to go!
This was my first semester at the university (I was at a community college before). Being at the university has allowed me to finally meet and hang out with other gay people. Our LGBT organization has about 30 people in it, mostly lesbians lol. I now wear a rainbow wristband wherever I go, although not while at Dad's house. Mom has seen it but I don't think she knows what it represents, or at least hasn't said anything about it.
Other than meeting fellow gays, nothing has really happened on that front.
The semester ended better than expected grade wise. I figured I would barely pass one of my classes, but I actually got a B, which was my lowest grade this semester. I also got a personal email from a professor I had for two classes (he's also my adviser). He commended me on a job well done this semester. He said it was a pleasure having me in his classes, and how how he always enjoyed reading the papers I wrote for class. Similarly, I received a compliment from another prof about how well I write. The first prof also urged me to join the Model NATO club at the uni and attend a conference in D.C. in February. He said, "we could use a person like you in our group!"
Unfortunately, I have something else planned for the weekend of the D.C. conference. It's only a Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra concert, but I already bought the non-refundable (of course) tickets. Also, it's a Christmas/birthday present for Dad; they will be playing music from his favorite composer. However, I am interested in taking part in the club once the new semester comes around.
On another note, Alex and I are considering getting an apartment together near campus next semester. He's tired of dorm life and I'm tired of living with my mother lol. I'm not sure if I can afford it or not. Using the financial aid money I received this year, subtracting tuition cost (which will probably go up next semester), and then subtracting rent for the year, it's only leaving me with a little over $1,000. That's not including the electric bill (the only utility not included in rent), nor groceries. So, I don't know if getting an apartment will actually happen or not, but it's something that is being discussed.
In the last year, I've taken up music writing as a hobby. So far I've only really copied what others have written, but recently I bought a few books on music theory and composing that'll teach me a thing or two so I can write my own stuff. I have a music program that I use to write and playback music for all instruments. The sounds aren't terribly great, especially when compared to the real thing, but it gets the job done and is fun to play around with and arrange existing works.
For Christmas this year, I did a version of "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!" by John Williams (who else?) from Home Alone 2. If you recall, last year I did a rather poor arrangement of "Somewhere In My Memory" from the first Home Alone film. Hopefully this year's is better :P
Here's my version:
Here's the real version (with lyrics):
3 comments:
Well, I like your arrangement of "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas." Rearranging other people's stuff is probably a good way to develop composing abilities. Bach rearranged things by Vivaldi. Maybe you should rearrange something by your composer relative. Or you could go to Mozart or Beethoven.
$1,000 for a year's worth of expenses doesn't sound like a lot. Actually it sounds just about impossible. Maybe the thing to do is try to save all you can next semester, perhaps try to set aside what you'd be paying for rent. If you can get by without spending any of it, your golden for renting a place, and you've got a nest egg for extras. If you can't get by on the remainder, in the first place, you know where you stand, and you do have whatever you managed to save to help you in the following semester. (I hope I've made that clear.) Anyway, you might be better off trying to build up a cash reserve and get an apartment next fall. I hope it can work out for you.
Nice to hear that you and Alex are on such good terms. You might have said something on twitter before I got there, but I only recall the thing about going to a hockey game.
They say, "Mother knows." I know it isn't always true, but do you think she's really that clueless about rainbows? BTW, if you think your dad would know what it meant, that wearing the wristband at his place would be one way of coming out to him — if you ever wanted to.
I get the impression your self-confidence has grown a lot from when I began to read your blog. :)
BTW, your post and this comment are why I really like blogging more than twitter. You can say a lot more. To me it's more meaningful.
Gosh, another year has come round again, I must say I'm mightily impressed by your version of merry Christmas Merry Christmas, very enjoyable.
It is also impressive how you've applied yourself at university, so much so that the profs are emailing and congratulating you. From everything I've read about you, here and on twitter etc it does seem that self confidence has bounded out of you by the bucket load just recently, something that has been a joy to read and very commendable. I cheer aloud.
I'd be inclined to wear your rainbow band all the time, even at dad's house, as it evidently is part of you now, the way you are maturing and growing.
The whole apartment thing sounds really great, if you can make it work and I'm sure it would be a wonderful life experience for you. Money is always going to be tight, you'd have to find some work to do to cover all the expenses and live on more than Ramen Noodles.
What a wonderful thing to choose the concert over the DC trip and NATO club thingy. Whilst I'm sure your father will appreciate it completely, I do wonder which you will get the most benefit from in the long run.
Only one thing left for me to do and that is to send you heartfelt best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.
Glad things are going quite well for you and not letting personal drama interfere with your education. But that might change if you get an apartment with Alex (what the hell go for it!). - Wayne :)
Post a Comment