Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tough Decisions

I had planned to make a post that was rather detailed but I kept putting it off and putting it off until now I'm forcing myself to write after midnight when I'm tired. So this may be briefer than I wanted, in which case I will bring you up to speed on what's happening with me and James. We'll see how long this is after I cover the important subject.


As some of you know, I have changed my mind multiple times about what I want my future career to be. I applied to school with the intent of being a police officer. Then before school started I changed to architect, but after the first day of classes I changed again to architectural drafter (to be fair, the former was a mistake I made when reading the titles of the programs). My problem is twofold: I have so many interests, and I cannot decide which I want to pursue further.

So, here we are. I am thinking about changing my major yet again. This time to Political Science.

Why?

Well, I have been into politics ever since the 2008 presidential election and enjoy it very much. I can certainly do and achieve more with a Political Science degree, especially if I go the entire way to a Ph.D., than I can with an Associates in Applied Science degree in Computer-Aided Drafting (not to mention pay will be considerably greater).

It has always been in my mind that I wanted to teach, following in the footsteps of my parents. With a Ph.D. I can become a professor at a university. Not only that, but there are MANY other career paths for Political Science majors that I may be interested in pursuing.

Should I choose to do this, I will have to change my major to General Studies and finish my final year at community college. Why change the major? So I can focus on the general courses I need to graduate from the university. That way I won't have to attend the university for four years, rather only two or three at the most (it all depends on how much I can get done in my final year at CC). Although Mom has suggested I finish my current major, then transfer and change majors. That way I have something to fall back on should I decide I do not wish to pursue Political Science after all (which wouldn't be surprising). Either way, after my final year at community college, I will transfer to a local university with the focus of graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Political Science


Now, I have not made a final decision yet. Dad agrees I will have more options with a BA degree than with a AAS degree. But he hasn't given much more insight than that. Mom's advice I already stated above. I like to have as much advice as I can get before I make a decision such as this.


I am interested in what you have think, if you please.


Oh, and sorry for bad grammar and such. My eyes are heavy.

8 comments:

Random Thinker said...

Well, I like how you focused this post on school, and not James. Perhaps you can post about James later.

A degree in PolySci offers a path toward teaching at the university as well as high school level. It also offers the opportunity to go into Civil Service, politics or business.

Today, there are even more opportunities than when I got my undergrad degree in political science. My career path has less to do about Political Science, but more about the social dynamics of business, sales, crisis management, and even government affairs.

I know others who have gone into insurance, policy, consulting, sales, technology - all with degrees in PoliSci. And there are those who went to work on Congressional staffs, staffs of elected officials, campaigns, consultants, etc. And there are those who moved into journalism. Last, PoliSci is a great stepping stone for post graduate work in PoliSci, Law, Business and other areas.

I would urge you to focus on communications courses, especially writing and journalism. Take courses in business communications as well as history. Any opportunities to take courses in rhetoric or crisis management will also be extremely important. These will all serve you well in whatever career path you take.

The reason I say this is that the words you use, the words you create, they are what will separate you from others - but moreso, enable you to argue for what you believe in, what you are trying to achieve.

I am glad I have an undergrad degree and a masters degree in PoliSci.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you want to chat more specifically about things.

Anonymous said...

You asked for comments, so here I go:
I can't give you any technical advice on the college courses to take best as I'm not familiar enough with. But I remember some statements you gave us as to your personal difficulties to achieve some courses. I understood you've chosen CAD - among other reasons - because of the practical aspects, much more affordable. I mean, it is good to set high goals, I would encourage you to do so, but make sure, they're achievable. Go to the library and check out the books/materials in order to get an idea on the subject.If you feel strong enough, I would go for a degree in Political Science because you will have MUCH MORE options compared to CAD.

Olivier

Seth said...

Just a few general thoughts:

You're still "finding" yourself academically, but its great that at least you seem to have a plan, and a logical one at that, even if you change mid-stream.

By far the best thing is, as you already seem to be doing - get the basic courses (core, requirements) out of the way, no matter which direction you go with in higher level classes.

Don't get yourself stuck in a loop trying to lay it all out specifically right this minute - go with the flow a little bit, as you progress through the next couple of years, as long as you have a solid foundation, you will still have room to "switch" in different directions.

Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with your mother about finishing your current course and then going to university if you wish. Other factors are involved in choosing a career path; where you want to live and the opportunities there for employment in your field, how you fit in socially cos you say you tend to be the introverted type and you are gay, and the economic conditions at the time of graduation.
-The bottom line is whether a Political Science degree will get you a job; remember you will have loan debts and you must get a job within a year of graduating or it will be difficult to get one after that. I tend to think getting a job is easier with a business, science, or engineering degree. If teaching is your objective then perhaps the Political Science degree will help. I dunno; the education thing always seems to be a crap-shoot, but being well-educated increases your odds of success. - Wayne :) (you forgot about James!)

naturgesetz said...

Computer Aided Drafting is definitely career-specific. Political science has a lot of possibilities, as you and others have pointed out. It also may not give as much assurance of getting a job. I wouldn't dare recommend one curriculum/major choice over the other.

In general, I favor using the college years for a broad liberal education rather than vocational training, but of course, it really depends on the aptitudes and interests of the individual.

If having an associates degree in computer aided drafting would qualify you for a job and thus give you "something to fall back on" if you needed it, that is worth considering. OTOH, if you're sure you don't want to work in the field, it wouldn't seem to make a lot of sense spending another year on it, when you could be studying something you're interested in.

I guess what it comes down to in my mind is: if you're sure you don't want to do computer aided drafting, you might as well drop it now; but if you think you still might want to have it as an option it makes sense to stick with it and change only when you get to the four-year institution. And an additional year or even two of undergraduate work is not an altogether bad thing by any means.

Good luck in making your decision.

Planetx_123 said...

Well you cant go wrong with a four year BA in my mind. I can't really speak for the job market for associates degrees...but I think its really only good for vocational stuff and as you pointed out the pay is not typically that great. Even for the vocational stuff -- the folks that make the big bucks probably are outstanding and went to 4 yr unis.

I agree with NG re liberal arts education if you don't really have a great feel for what you want to do. This is a double edged sword though, because it will give you the opportunity to learn alot but if you dont settle into a groove quickly you will end up with a degree in like philosophy which sounds cool but gets you about zero jobs (unless you just use it to get into grad school).

My personal opinion is: find what you love doing, see what the jobs are around that area to have some vague plan for what you want your life to be like in 5 and 10 years. Then work your fucking ass off. You have a critical 3-6 years ahead of you. These years will set the pace/tone for your ENTIRE LIFE (sorry to be overly-dramatic but its true). Most people will say oh enjoy your youth -- but most people are POOR and stupid. So whatever you love -- go do it -- go be the best at it -- or at least be better than most.

Do what interests you -- if you like Poly Sci and want to put in the effort than dont waste any more time on that assoicates degree. and I would get real serious about seeing what transfers. Most decent unis dont accept a lot of comm college credits -- though I suppose for gen deg reqs its prob ok.

J said...

You're not in a position to choose your major. I think the commentators who advocate an AB degree are on the mark. PoliSci doesn't offer you anything more than English or history as a major. I got my AB in political science because I wanted to go to law school. I did, but not after spending three years as a newspaper reporter. The community college system in each state is designed to afford talented late bloomers the opportunity to achieve enough to transfer to a major state university. I suggest that this be your objective. If you do well in such a place you can get into a decent doctoral program in whatever liberal arts or professional specialty your desire, if that remains your goal. Don't be overly worried about your major. You are still on track, and exploring. What is important is to maintain your options while you sort things out.
To show you how strange life can be, there once was an english professor named Grant Gilmore, who decided to get a law degree. He became a professor at Yale Law School, and probably the nation's foremost scholar of admiralty law and commercial transactions. His "hornbook" on admiralty was as well and lucently written a treatise as I have ever encountered, probably because he understood and used the languageso well. He died in l982, but the unusual trajectory of his life has always been illuminating to me. After all, he might originally have been inspired by the magnitude and tragedy of the American Civil War, or the loss of the Titanic. So be, explore, preserve your options and never sell yourself or your ability short.

naturgesetz said...

I agree with J that you don't have to make a final decision on a major yet. Obviously, if it's a field that interests you more than LIterature or History, it makes sense to major in it, but he raises an interesting point: your fascination for Gettysburg and the Titanic suggest an interest in history.

When I majored in Pol. Sci., I concentrated mainly in political philosophy. By the time I got through my couple of years of grad school, it seemed that the field was turning to statistics for a lot of its analysis of politics and political institutions. I'm not sure where it is right now.

You mentioned that you might like to teach. The obvious question is, "What do you see yourself possibly teaching?" That would be the thing to major in, obviously. Apart from History or Pol. Sci, how about film or its cousin, literature?