Saturday, July 30, 2011

VBS / Wisdom Teeth

This week was Vacation Bible School at the church. As usual, I went and helped out where I was needed. Most of the time Alex and I just hung out alone together in the back of the sanctuary. On Wednesday I had to go get a hair cut. Since I had to get my wisdom teeth out Friday, I was just going to stay at Mom's and skip going to Bible School on Thursday. Alex said I should come back to Dad's and go to VBS on Thursday so he wouldn't be bored. I obliged. He was able to put my mind to ease a bit about getting my wisdom teeth out since he had had it done several months ago.

My appointment was at 9 Friday morning so I stayed at Mom's Thursday night. I couldn't eat 6 hours before the surgery and I knew I wouldn't be able to eat much the next couple of days so I feasted Thursday night. Mom took me to a hot dog shoppe near here where I got a hot dog topped with chili and "loaded fries" as well as a root beer float.

When it came time for my appointment, they took me back into the room and hooked me up to a heart monitor. Then the doctor came in and started me on the IV sedation. Next thing I knew I was awake and Mom was in the room listening to the nurse give her instructions on what we should be doing the next few days and what to expect. So people come out of sedation and are a bit loopy (my brothers and Alex were both like this) but I came out really well and could walk fine on my own.

When we got back home, I changed the gauze in my mouth. Apart from in the car, I hadn't yet sat down because I was feeling alright. I walked into the kitchen where Mom was and pretty soon I started to feel really light headed and dizzy. Spots were appearing in front of my eyes and from past experiences I knew I was going to pass out. I told mom to get over to where I was and grabbed onto the counter. She barely got to me before I collapsed. Luckily she caught me and laid me down on the kitchen floor. She said my eyes were rolled back into my head so she closed them. Just a few seconds later I came to and asked what happened. She told me I passed out and that I should just stay down there for a little bit. I stayed on the floor about five minutes before I was ready to move into my comfy chair in the living room.

I stayed in that chair most of the day watching movies with mom. I changed the gauze every hour and took two rounds of four Advil tablets. The doctor also prescribed an antibiotic that I took twice. The pill got stuck in my throat the first time I tried to take it and I almost choked on it. Additionally the doctor prescribed Oxycodone for severe pain but I haven't had any yet. I also kept an ice pack on each side of my face periodically for 20 minutes to help reduce and swelling.

Alex texted me and asked how I was feeling and Dad checked in on me throughout the day.


Today I haven't had any major problems. No pain at all and little swelling. I'm still using ice packs and also warm salt water every hour. Compared to my brothers, I have done well with it all (except they never passed out). I'm getting quite bored at Mom's so I may go back to Dad's earlier than planned. I was fully expecting to be in bed most of the weekend. I'm still eating mostly jello, pudding, and I had some soup yesterday. I tried eating ravioli today but it was hard to eat without chewing in the back of my mouth even after cutting it up. So I think I'll stick to softer foods the rest of the weekend.

Hopefully things will continue to be better than expected.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Sky Battle"
Alexandre Desplat
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my wisdom teeth growing in beautifully and looking back I am pissed that the dentist pulled them out; I still have the rest but I think it is better for the jaw hinge to have more support back there. I don't remember any problem as they came out quite easily.
- I was under the impression that you and Alex rarely talked anymore. He still seems to like being your friend. Is he hot for girls or not? bfn - Wayne :)

Peter said...

@ Wayne,

Alex and I usually only see and speak to each other at church on Sundays.

Jason Shaw said...

I am glad the toothy thing went better than you may have feared at first. I can remember the pain myself, ouch.