Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween and Other Things

Happy Halloween to those who care about. Since I'm not a kind anymore (not a teenager anymore either), I don't really give a rat's ass about Halloween lol.

As I just eluded too, I have now turned 20 year old. On my birthday, I got to hang out with one of my brothers for the evening. I don't see him much anymore so that was really nice. The city he lives in was showing a "movie in the park" that night. The movie was Ghostbusters which we really liked as kids. It was so cold, however, they moved the movie to the local YMCA. We walked down to the Y and there were a bunch of little kids waiting to go in. They were all dressed up in costumes. We felt a little weird being the only 20somethings with no kids, so we went and did something else.

Amongst other things, we had a late dinner at Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Five Guys makes everything fresh, unlike other burger joints (McDonald's). He didn't warn me how big their burgers were so I got a double cheeseburger with everything on it, and he got two "little" (ie single patty) burgers. His two single burgers stacked on top of each other still weren't as tall as my burger. All the toppings made it fall apart and impossible to eat with my hands so I had to use a fork. It was sooooo good though!

I spent Saturday with Mom and her boyfriend Joe at his place. His town was having a "Punkin Chunkin" contest where people brought cannons that used compressed air to shoot pumpkins across the river at various targets. It was kinda redneck but fun. Then Joe grilled some delmonico steaks which we ate with spaghetti and salad. So that's two days in a row I've eaten so much food.

Today, Mom and I are headed down to Pittsburgh after she gets home from work for another huge dinner. This is a tradition we started when I turned 18.

I'm going to get so fat :\


School is going very well. I am very happy with my grades which seem to have improved since I changed to my major since I'm taking classes I actually like now. I really like all my professors. I'll be sorry when it's time to go to a different school next year.

Speaking of that...


It turns out that Alex and I will be going to the same university next year. I suppose that's a good thing because then I won't feel as if I'm the only new person starting there next year. I'm two years ahead of him so I doubt we'll have any classes together since I have pretty much wiped out all the general classes where I am now.

The thing I'm debating now is housing.

I originally just planned on commuting because it is cheaper despite gas prices and because I could never have a roommate who I don't already know. I'm too socially awkward for that, plus I like my own personal space. That being said, the uni does have single dorms, suites, and also on campus apartments for upperclassmen but I'm not sure if they're single apartments or not.

In the end, money will be the deciding factor.


Well, I have to finish a persuasive essay before my next class...


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I really like this piece. I bought the entire suite for my birthday. This video has some cool pics too

"Mars, the Bringer of War"
The Planets, Op. 32
Gustav Holst
Orchestre Symphonique de Monetéal
Conducted by Charles Dutoit

4 comments:

naturgesetz said...

Please accept my belated best wishes for a happy birthday and many more.

"Mars" is quite a rousing piece, and the whole suite isn't half bad. We've got to get you to Heinz Hall for a Pittsburgh Symphony concert one of these days. Meanwhile, of course, there's always the BSO on the webstream. You can hear the music I hear (although you get the Saturday performance, while I'm usually at the Thursday show. And I hope you noticed that they're making the concerts available on demand, at least for a while, so you don't necessarily have to be free on Saturday evening or early Sunday afternoon to hear them.

I'm glad you've got your university lined up. That's kind of exciting. I suppose you've got plenty of time to check out the on-campus housing to see if there's anything suitable and affordable for you. There are advantages to being on campus — mostly that it's easier to be at events that happen at various times — so I'd recommend it if it's feasible.

So Alex is in the picture again. I suppose by now he's in the "old flame" category. If I found out that any of the people I was deeply in love with was going to be where I was going to be, there would be real interest in seeing them again, even though I never "did stuff" with anyone. So it's not surprising that you find it an intriguing fact that Alex will be there too. But it probably won't set you back to where you were emotionally when you started blogging, because so much has happened since then.

I'm glad your courses are going well. Good luck for the rest of the semester.

Jason Shaw said...

Hey there, Happy Birthday, well better late than never as my old granny used to say, although I rather think that was about the tea tray and not some birthday wishes, but you get the point.

Sound like a cool birthday to me, I'd love to have one of those big burgers. All the 'fixin's' falling out and making a mess sounds fun to me.

Good to hear that you are enjoying the studies again, albeit different ones. Its better to study what you like rather than what you don't.

I don't know if the dorms are like the same over here, but it may not always be easy to study in them! Noise and so on. Although having said that, more likely you wont always wanna be studying!

Either way, I wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like things are going very well. I agree that keeping educational costs down is very important, but also keep in mind that having a dorm room-mate will help you with the socially awkward thing and is part of broadening your life experience at university. Learning how to cooperate and get along with someone who may be somewhat different from you is important.
-As for Alex; is the guy a skirt-chaser or not? Is he still a good friend? If the answer is no to both questions then you should look for more compatible friends at university. bfn - Wayne :)

Anonymous said...

Er, that should be yes to the first question and no to the second lol. bfn - Wayne :)