The fall semester ended a couple weeks ago and I made the Dean's List. I want to get my GPA up past 3.5 so I can be invited to join Phi Beta Kappa, but I only got it up to 3.4 this semester. Anyway, the upcoming spring semester will be my last at my college and I'm looking to transfer to a university after the summer. Chances are I'll be going to the local university I've mentioned before, but I'm also thinking I'll apply to a few universities in the Washington D.C. area since I'm probably going to major in political science. They're expensive down there, but the internship opportunities at the White House and Capitol Building might be worth it.
Last post (several posts ago), I mentioned I have started experimenting with writing music. Well, I've started out by copying existing works to get the feel for how orchestra music goes together. Then I started making my own arrangements of existing works. So here is an arrangement of John Williams' "Star of Bethlehem" written for Home Alone:
Here's the original version which sounds a lot better than my arrangement :)
If you click at the top of the audioboo player where it says "audioboo", you can go to my audioboo page and find some other arrangements I've done. They all start with "MuseScore - SONG TITLE." Some are decent, some are bad. Star Wars Main Title / Rebel Blockade Runner was my first and is the worst sounding; Call of the Champions is my favorite.
7 comments:
Yay for Dean's list!
I haven't listened to "Star of Bethlehem" all the way through, but I have switched back and forth getting to 1:23 on your version and 1:11 on the original. Williams may be a better orchestrator than you at this point, but I don't think your version is bad by any means. So I think it was a good exercise, and I'm sure you'll learn as you go along.
The D.C. universities are very good, both for the reason you mention and simply for the opportunities you get to hear talks by leaders in government on campus and in other venues. So if you can handle the cost, it could be very interesting and enjoyable. I may have mentioned that I went to college in D.C. I'd check out the committee hearings listed daily in the Washington Post, and when my schedule permitted, I'd hop on a bus and go to Capitol Hill and sit in the public gallery for one or two of them. In the afternoon, I'd go to the Senate Gallery and listen to the debates until I had to get back to campus. Back then the general public could also eat in the Senate Cafeteria. That was fun to do for lunch. Since 9/11, security concerns may have put the cafeteria off limits, but if you do go to Washington for your next years, be sure to check out the opportunities both on campus and off. Also, be sure to check out the National Symphony.
http://www.kennedy-center.org/nso/
freaks me out how productive you are petey-kins :/ anyways Merry Christmas!!! also when you do finish writing your first piece dont forget to send it to me <3
freaks me out how productive you are petey-kins :/ anyways Merry Christmas!!! also when you do finish writing your first piece dont forget to send it to me <3
Nice job with the musical arrangements!
-When choosing university courses and majors be sure to consider if employment opportunities will be available. Too many university grads are finding it tough to get work and student loans must be paid. If one is not employed within a year of graduating then employers want to choose from the next batch of new grads.
-Have a nice Christmas and be sure to get a bf at university! - Wayne :)
Have a wonderful happy holiday season!! *hugs*
Peter--The school with the best reputation in DC is Georgetown, both for undergraduate school and for law. I'd say George Washington is probably second. An up and comer in the DC area is George Mason, in Northern VA.
Post a Comment