Today we had to put our dog, Skylar, down. She wasn't able to walk too well the past week or so. We took her to the vets on Monday and they gave us medicine to give her which should have corrected the problem. They also did a blood test but the results weren't known until the following day. In the meantime, we started her on the medicine. The next day the doctor called with the results and said there was an "abnormality" which may be worsened by the medication but she wasn't certain. She advised us to keep her on part of the medication but to stop with the other. Well, by Wednesday it was obvious she had gotten much worse. She wasn't moving unless we forcefully made her move and she didn't eat her dinner. We started debating whether we should have her put down. Thursday she couldn't move her back legs at all and had trouble moving her front legs. We just let her lay in there all day. Dad called the vets and made an appointment to have her put down this morning. Dad called my brother to bring his SUV so we could just put her on a blanket and then lift her into the back. Both my brother and his father-in-law came so Dad and I wouldn't have to go do it. This morning Skylar could only lift her head, so we definitely made the right decision. That doesn't make it any easier though...
Today we also got word that someone from the church passed away last night. So it's a double whammy.
6 comments:
Aww, I remember when my first pet dog got put down, I was so upset. Came home from the vet and everybody was down beat in my living room.
Sorry peter. ive only had to go through this twice which i think is fewer than most-- and its never easy. Sounds like you guys definitely made the right decision -- but as you noted thats of little comfort.
Sorry friend. Hope you feel better soon and i think by the rules of karma you will now have at least 2 awesome weeks with zero bad news *knocks on wood just in case I mis-read the rules of karma*
Steve
A dog is a true friend who doesn't judge you and gives unconditional love, more than I can say for most people. The old cliche 'Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die.' is so very true. I wish WE had the right to ask for a quick needle and a dignified passing when the time comes; I think death is a release and not to be feared in itself, but no one should have to suffer for months on end before going if that is what they want.
-But let's cheer up a bit; life is here for us to enjoy and the lazy summer days are coming; perfect for a hormone crazed young guy! bfn - Wayne :)
I'm so sad to hear about this. Knowing that you made the right decision doesn't take away the sorrow.
My condolences.
*hugs*
Peter i wanted to extend my condolences and say sorry to hear about Skylar. You lost a good friend. Anyone that has had a pet for an extended period knows that they become not only a friend but a part of your family. As always i hope time will heal this wound.
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Peter. I know how terrible and sad losing such a part of the family can be. :(
*big hugs*
Post a Comment