Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving and Landmines

Tomorrow (Thurs.) is Thanksgiving here in the United States.

It will be a full house here. Dad will be cooking. 3 of my brothers will be here, 1 sister-in-law, and my niece.

So, yeah, Happy Thanksgiving.


There is a new poll up over there ->

I'm interested in your reactions about the United States NOT joining a worldwide ban on the use of landmines. Please vote! Also feel free to explain your opinion in the comments.

As for my opinion:

I think it's a good thing we didn't join the ban. As many have said, a HUGE mine field is the only thing that is keeping the North Koreans from invading the South again. If we joined the ban, those landmines would then have to be removed. Once that happens, better watch out for the NKs! And since the United States still has troops over there, we'd have to go to war with North Korea all over again! The United States can't really handle another war right now.

10 comments:

Ryan said...

Have a great thanksgiving Peter!

Lots of love,
Ryan

naturgesetz said...

When I saw the title, I thought the landmines were metaphorical ones at the family Thanksgiving gathering. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

The problem with landmines is that the can also get noncombatants, even long after the conflict has ended. So I see them as an immoral form of weaponry because they are indiscriminate,and I'm disappointed that we continue to deploy them.

Anonymous said...

I think it's sad that we didn't join the ban on landmines. What about this side of the landmine problem: Africa (more specifically Angola a third world country).

Only 3 percent of all the arable land in angola is being used for cultivation...and thats because the rest is filled with land mines.

1 in every 334 people is an amputee in Angola.

It's ridiculous. If landmines are banned and removed then these poor countries will have more land to farm on without having to worry about losing a limb or even fatality.

And everyone knows the first step to development of a country is agriculture.

You cant tell me with all the technology today there isnt better ways to protect borders than landmines.

Want to protect the border between the Koreas? Put up multiple fences, put up a guards tower, but don't use mines.

Besides with technology where its at today, chances are if NK wanted to attack they will and not by sending troops across the border. Its not like the landmines in Korea are doing anything either...its not that large of a border and if NK really wanted to invade with troops it would take much to move them by water around it.

billy said...

I think the Korean situation is not quite so dire. North Korea would not risk a full-scale land conflict without the support of China. China will not throw away 25 years of economic development and return to impoverished isolation over a conflict which offers it little.

As NG said landmines kill and maim civilians for decades after the conflict finishes. Cambodian children are still losing limbs, being blinded and dying so long after that immoral conflict ended.

Blue-Mars said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Happy Turkey day.
The US is not interested in Peace. War-no-more would devastate the US military-industrial economy. The powers to be want armed stand offs. And land mines are part of that mix. And thats the bottom line.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving.
I with the courage and Naturgesetz.
Regards Stef.

Jason Carwin said...

I think nuclear weapons and economic interdependency (between China and the USA) act as a stronger deterrent in the Korean Conflict.

Land mines, while tactical at times, can lead to terrible civilian casualties. I think that America should set the example by banning the use and production of land mines.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,
I have to agree with xthecouragex
Two people in my family have been SERIOUSLY hurt from landmines and I have met so very many children and other civilians from Angola and Mozambique who have been badly wounded, or had family members killed by land mines.
They never go away, and are very difficult to locate, as they are usually buried just under the ground – impossible to see and lying there ready to kill you if you walk on, or drive over them.

I think it’s a bit different to think about them as a theory as opposed to actually walking in the land and not knowing where they are, or sometimes having to go hours out of your way to navigate around an area that hasn’t been cleared and deemed safe and landmine free…

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family
{{hugs}}

cvn70 said...

peter

hey hope youhad a good thankgivings and land mines i cant say i have never looked at the issue but im surprised Obama didnt sign on

take care and be safe

bob