Monday, November 30, 2009

Worse Than A Woman - College Decisions

OMG I'm so bad at making decisions I swear I'm worse than a woman!

I'm going to stay local for school. There are 4 schools that are all within a half hour drive from here. Staying local will help a lot with costs. I'm not sure if I should tell you what schools specifically :p, but they are 2 universities, 1 college, and 1 community college. Here is what each school offers that I'm interested in:

University 1: BA in History with a minor in Military History, BA in Criminology and Criminal Justice, also I can take the ROTC elective classes for the first two years, or all 4 years if I want to go into the Army (which I'm not sure I do now).

University 2: BA in History, and BA in Criminal Justice

College: BA in History

Community College: AAS in Emergency Services: Police Service Option (my brother did this), AAS in Computer Aided Drafting and Design


I'm taking the SATs on Saturday (wish me luck) so I'll be able to complete the application process before January (providing I get good scores). I can apply to the community college right now since SAT scores aren't required, but the community college is more of a last resort. My number one choice is University 1.

The only problem is, I can't make up my mind regarding what degree I want to pursue. I love history, especially military history, so that is one of my favorites.

I'm going to be job shadowing a police officer for my senior project, so I'll probably be able to get a sense of what it's like then.

I'm going to be taking a CADD elective in a month or so, so I'll be able to see what that is like as well.

Hopefully after all of that I'll be able to make a decision as to what career to pursue.

As for cost:

Since I'll be driving to the school, that will cut out the room and board, and also lower tuition cost.

University 1 - ~$8,600 per year X 4 years = ~$34,400 total
University 2 - ~$8,331 per year X 4 years = ~$33,324 total
College - ~$8145 per year X 4 years = ~$32,580 total
Community College = Cheap

There really isn't *that* much of a difference between the 2 UVs and the college.

So I'm not fully prepared to make a good decision yet. After the job shadow and CADD class, I'll be able to make a decision as to what I want to do. Once that decision is made, I'll be able to make a better decision as to what school to go to. Then it'll all obviously ride on which schools I get accepted to.

We'll see....

9 comments:

torchy! said...

as far as the top 3 are concerned, I don't see cost as being an issue since the difference is so small.

your best off picking the one that fits in with your career choice best, and which you think 'feels' right. other bloggers talk of researching the lgbt-friendliness. maybe that's something you should be looking into as well.

a BA will probably give you more scope for the future, so I'd definitely be leaning to the top 3 rather than the community college if you can afford it.

good luck for Saturday, Pete
torch

naturgesetz said...

When I was in college, you generally didn't have to officially select a major until sophomore year. In the first two years you got most general requirements out of the way and took introductory courses in departments you might want to major in. But the heavy lifting for the major was in junior and senior years. So unless things have changed a lot in the past 45 years, you don't have to definitely decide on a major just yet. It's good to have an idea, though.

f I'm not mistaken, community colleges are generally two-year institutions, which is why they confer an associate's degree, rather than a bachelor's. If you go the community college route, in addition to pursuing whatever degree you select, you might also want to take courses that would be good to have if you subsequently decided to go to a four-year institution. And for that, you might want to be in contact with the four-year institution as well as the CC's guidance office of course.

Good luck on your SAT's on Sat.

Anonymous said...

good luck on the SAT and your decision - I'm sure whatever you choose will be a great choice ... fyi ... lots of people are starting with 2 years at a CC and then transfering into a 4 year school to complete the BA/BS degree - it's a great and cost effective option ... I *might* have a connection or two at one or another universities close to where you live so I'll drop you an email :-)

Anonymous said...

Theres really nothing wrong with going to the community college, and you really should feel like just because you're going to the CC you have to major in those two things that you put in your post.

You can always take the general education classes at a CC and major in Liberal Arts and then transfer out to a bigger university or college to finish up. It's what I did and it saved me a ton of money.

Also check because sometimes the CC will have an agreement program with other universities for certain majors or programs which says that if you take certain courses and obtain a certain GPA you'll be guaranteed acceptance into the uni and the program so check it out.

J said...

ROTC programs are a great way to finance your education, if you have any interest in serving your country afterward.

Jimi said...

Finally someone who feels my pain! I'm haveing trouble with college too! From what I have read I would go with the first one. It just sounds more well rounded, if you know what I mean. Then again what do I know on the subject? I'm going through the same delema. To many options! ugh which reminds me I have to take the SATS the 12th of dec. ugh growing up sucks!

Jove,
Limi

Steevo said...

Take a survey! 50 random adults and ask if they knew what to do for life at 18? Are they now doing it? Or closely related?

Here in cali u can do 2 years of CC with certain grades and certain courses and be guaranteed admittance to a state college.

g'luck

WkBoy714 said...

HOORAY
You said worse THAN a woman, and not THEN. :)

Have a lollypop.

Anonymous said...

Good luck. You should check out the Kuder Occupational Interest Test. http://www.kuder.com/
Its not an aptitude test. They ask random question, then score your interests with people in industry. You know - Birds of a Feather Flock Together.
When I wanted to change my major in college, my counselor insisted I take it. The results were interesting: it said I had nothing in common with preachers, insurance salesmen, and lawyers (all true). But I had a lot of the same interests as engineers, computer programmers, physical therapists.

So I chose engineering and got my degree. I think the PT interests comes from wanting to give and receive hands on activities. LOL.