Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans' Day

Well, today is Veterans' Day/Remembrance Day/Armistice Day; a day to remember all those who serve(d) in the armed forces of your country.

Since I live in The United States, I will do a post in remembrance of the soldiers who served this country from the very beginning up until the present time. The dates on some of the wars are the dates when the United States was involved.


The Revolutionary War (1775-1783)

Causalities: ~50,000



The War of 1812 (1812-1815)




Casualties: ~25,000



The Mexican/American War (1846-1848)

Casualties: 17,435



The American Civil War (1861-1865)


Casualties: ~650,000+



The Spanish/American War (April 25 – August 12, 1898)



Casualties: 4,068



World War I (1917-1918)


Casualties: 320,518

World War II (1941-1945)







Casualties: 1,076,245



The Korean War (1950-1953)




Casualties: 128,650



Vietnam War (1961-1975)


Casualties: 211,454



Operation Desert Storm (1991)





Casualties: ~767



Operation Enduring Freedom (2001-present)



Casualties to date: 3,125



Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003-present)





Casualties to date: 50,460






Casualties = Killed, Wounded, and Missing

4 comments:

J said...

Your casualty figures appear to list American losses in some wars and total losses in others. I always understood that the greatest American losses occurred in the Civil War, but you have over a million lost in WWII. Is this correct?

Peter said...

J, I got all my figures from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_casualties_of_war

And keep in mind that the term "casualties" refers to those killed, wounded, and missing.

naturgesetz said...

Those are interesting statistics. And a good selection of pictures.

Thanks for the post.

naturgesetz said...

And a beautiful video too.