1. Earn 24 credits throughout high school.
2. Score Proficient on the PSSA tests in English, Writing, Math, and Science.
3. Complete and pass the Senior Project.
Here's a breakdown of each one:
1. 24 credits:
There are three class lengths: Full year worth 1 credit, 1 Semester worth 0.5 credits (half-year, 18 weeks), 1 quarter worth 0.25 credits (half-semester, 9 weeks).
A student has to get a certain number of credits by the end of each year to be promoted to the next year. They must have 24 credits by the end of their 4th year (senior year) in order to graduate.
2. PSSA tests
PSSA stands for Pennsylvania System of School Assessment. They are a series of test students have to take in grades 3-8 and 11th (junior year). Students are tested in Reading, Writing, Math, and now Science. For the 3rd-8th grade tests, it doesn't matter what score they get because those are used to measure how well the school is teaching; in other words, it grades the school instead of the student. The 11th Grade test score does matter. You have to score Proficient on each section in order to graduate the following year. If you don't pass a particular section the first time, you have to retake it the next year. If you don't pass it then, you have to take another state test (4Sight Test in Pennsylvania). If you still can't get Proficient, then there is a computer thing called Study Island you have to do and pass. If you can't pass that then you shouldn't be graduating anyway lol
3 Senior Project
I've already explained this one before, I think. Basically, you have to write a 5 page career research paper, do 10 hours of community service, job shadow and interview someone, then make a presentation about the job shadow experience and present it. You have to pass all the parts to graduate.
So that's a lot of stuff to accomplish. Here is the status of each of the requirements for me personally:
1. 24 Credits
When I completed the last school year, I had 14.5 credits. So this year I had to get at least 9.5 credits to graduate. I took 8 full year classes and 4 semester classes equaling 10 credits.
So far I've completed 4 full year and 3 semester classes (5.5 credits). I have 4 full year classes (British Literature, World History, Earth Science, and Business Math) and 1 semester class (Life Skills) left to finish.
There are two deadlines. If I want to walk at Graduation then I have to be totally done by the end of May. If I'm not done by then, then the absolute latest I can finish and still get my diploma is the end of June.
Since I have 5 classes, I (try to) work all day long on one class. By all day I mean from the time I get up until 8 p.m.; minus time for lunch and dinner. By 8p, I'm pretty well burned out.
I don't know if I'll be done in time to walk at Graduation, but that isn't really important to me. I'd rather not rush through 5 classes in a month and not learn anything just to walk around in a stupid cap and gown, but I'm still going to try and make it by that deadline. If I don't, then it's no big deal because I can definitely finish by the end of June.
2. PSSA Tests
I took them last year and got Proficient in Reading, Writing, and Science but not in Math. I took the retake test for Math earlier this year, but still didn't get Proficient. Then we took the 4Sight Tests a month or so ago and I did get proficient in Math.
So that requirement has been crossed off the list.
3. Senior Project
I'm pretty sure I already explained what I did for my project, so I won't expand an already long post. Anyway, today the principal met with me and the other cyber kids. I didn't get to see my exact score, but I got this:
(the square shadow is my mouse pad lol (long story))

:D
So that's another requirement checked off. Now I just had to finish my classes...
I leave you today with an updated picture of my model that I work on at night after I'm burned out from school work...
(pictured is the nearly completed Navigation Bridge front and the start of the Officer's Quarter's and First Class Entrance on the Boat Deck)... and some music
5 comments:
Hope you can finish in time to take that walk with your classmates, although, as you say, actually learning something is more important. And congrats on getting the other two requirements out of the way.
The music isn't half bad either.
:)
Wow, it sure seem like hard work. I wish you luck, I hope you get it all finished in time and you can walk with your friends!
Lol what a pile of crap to go through so you can be a cashier at Walmart! j/k At Saint John High in the late 60's, there was no such thing as semesters or credits, I just had to average 60% each year (and not fail math, English and science electives) and I graded. We wrote government exams the last year. But really, for a career and job, the most important subjects are math, English, sciences, and computer skills. The rest is nice to know. It would be nice if you could get your secondary education close to home mostly cos it is a lot cheaper if you can stay home and are not saddled with huge debts when you graduate college or university or tech school. bfn - Wayne (and we had to go until the last f**kin day in June!)
keep at it Peter! hope you are able to walk at graduation but regardless you're going to be so pumped when this is all done!
now what about the prom update?!
Prom update will be tomorrow. My tux is in so Dad and I are going to pick it up tomorrow morning.
Pics will be included in the post :)
Post a Comment