Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Why am I interested in the Titanic?

That's a question I've been asked numerous times and I don't really have an answer.

The movie came out when I was 6. Of course the trailers were on TV long before it came to theaters so that is where it all started.



Mom and I went to see it in theaters when it came out. The only thing I remember from that is saying, "that's not the Titanic!" at the beginning when they were on the research ship, and an old woman in a wheelchair crying as we were leaving after it was over. So I started watching it in 1997 and haven't stopped since.

I don't really like the movie because of the love story but rather because of the Titanic's story itself. Yes, there are a few other Titanic movies out there, most notably A Night to Remember, but they do not depict the story as well as James Cameron did. The biggest reason is that James Cameron actually built a near full scale replica of the ship to use for filming:



As for the ship itself, I really like the way it looks. I don't know how else to describe it lol. I like it so much, I even tried to make a 3D model of the exterior on my computer using blueprints. I had to delete it awhile ago, though. Since getting a new computer, I started it again. This time attempting to be more accurate and, hopefully, including some or all of the interior as well. I started in the summer before school started, but since this year has been a particularly busy one I have had to stop.

This is as far as I have gotten:


Which isn't very far at all lol.


Not sure if this answered that question or not, but that's the best explanation I can give.

P.S. I went tux shopping yesterday. I'll post about that later when I actually have the tux so I can include pictures.

P.S.S. How do you like my new header?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My favorite track from the movie's score:

7 comments:

Planetx_123 said...

I like the new header.

I hate that you said you saw this when you were 6, as that makes me feel old. blah.

I like that you are modelling this-- that sounds like a fun project. What software is that? 3dsmax?

I hate that that bitch Kate Winslet is the only one who got to play "kind of the world" with Leo.

Much Love,
Steve

Anonymous said...

new header is cool!

buy condoms too - you never know - and they work no matter who you might find yourself needing them with

naturgesetz said...

goleftathefork didn't mean it quite that way, but I'm lol at the idea you might need to protect yourself from Amanda.

New header doesn't convey the foreshadowing and foreboding of the one where she is steaming toward the sunset. But it's okay.

naturgesetz said...

Oh. But I just noticed the line about embarking on the voyage of life. The new pic is way better for that.

wayner said...

C'mon, Peter, I can appreciate a good heterosexual love story cos it is just the same for us homosexuals. (you should know!) The story of love complicated by the rigid class structure of that time was a story of prejudice that us homosexuals can empathize with. The Titanic was a classically beautiful ship just as are some classically beautiful antique cars.
-Yeah, I like your new header; we all have our icebergs waiting for us lol. Realising that, maybe we can avoid them. I think you will look very sharp in that tux and you and Amanda will have a good time. But I think your attentions will turn elsewhere after the prom. bfn - Wayne :)

J said...

Cameron's films all seem to have second rate scripts coupled with mind-blowing special effects. The movie A Night to Remember, based on Walter Lord's book, was a much better script. The header is fine, and, I think, a reflection of your growing maturity. I'm surprised you haven't studied other ocean liner designs more.
A lot of critics believe the Normandie was the most beautiful ever to steam.

Anonymous said...

Hey Peter I just want to say I have watched Titanic ah number of times but nothing to do with the boat it is Leonardo I watch it for. As well as another movie he was in The Beach. Although he is a lot older now. He was stunning at our age. Sorry if this comment is off Topic but just the mention of Titanic gets my juices flowing
Eddie xxx