Tuesday, I woke up with a slight tingle in my throat. I knew that was the first sign of a sore throat. By midday, it was worse. I started gargling mouthwash and then warm saltwater as Dad suggested. I also took DayQuil every four hours (that stuff tastes nasty!). By the end of the day, my nose was running and stuffy.
I was concerned because the next day, Wednesday, I had to go to school in the morning for the usual class, and then again in the afternoon to do an important presentation.
When I woke up Wednesday morning, the soreness was significantly less than it was when I went to bed. When I got back from school it had started to come back. After gargling some more saltwater and taking some DayQuil, it was better by the time I had to go do my presentation.
My presentation was for the graduation project ever senior has to do. Basically, you job shadow someone (follow them around at work), interview them, make presentation about it, and also write a career research paper. If you don't pass it then you don't graduate.
I job shadowed my brother; he is a police officer. I don't remember blogging about it. I arrived at the police station around 1, we drove around for awhile and pulled two people over. After that we went back to the station and he showed me stuff there, and I interviewed another officer. Then it started snowing really bad so I got stuck there for awhile. We drove around some more, and then the snow let up some so I went home. I was there for a total of 8 hours.
Anyway, back to my presentation. I'm usually really nervous about doing public speaking. Even though there were only 3 other people in the room (all school faculty), I thought I would still be nervous. I went in there, made small talk with the teachers (I only knew one of them) until I got my powerpoint up. I didn't practice what I was going to say which is probably why I did so well. I think if you practice what you're going to say before you say it, then you're more likely to mess up because you're too busy trying to remember what you are supposed to say. I just made a few bullets on each slide that stated a general idea and then just talked about it.
After I was done, each teacher had to ask at least one question. I was able to answer them easily, so no problem there. After that, one of the teachers said I did an "excellent job and was very thorough." I won't know my score until next week, or maybe the week after. I have a feeling I did pretty good though.
I'm proud of myself :)
Oh, and as of today, I am still sick. No more sore throat, but I still have a stuffy nose and, occasionally, a sinus headache.
3 comments:
Sounds like a good presentation and you should be proud! So is that basically it? Was that the "big hurdle" to graduate or do you still have exams?
Do you feel the intense stress and excitement of a major chapter in your life closing and a new beginning?! ...not to be melodramatic or anything :-)
And yes I agree re powerpoint-- I can't rehearse, it screws me up. I do like you mention and just have some bullets and 'elaborate'. One thing I *hate* tho is when people just get up there and read the bullets. I sit there in the audience and just fume: I can read faster than they speak and feel like its just a waste of time...
anyways
feel better!! now!!
Steve
Glad that went well! They always make you do something that is a pain in the neck before you graduate. Before I graduated, I had to do a whole new set of government exams called 'departmentals' in addition to the high school exams. Pick a career yet?
-There is always a flu or cold bug around in the spring; might even be the swine flu. All you can do is suffer it out. bfn - Wayne :)
Congrats on job well done. One less thing to worry about now . I agree you can rehearse to much, and them you stumble. I hope you start to feeling better soon ....see ya later Peter .. Have a great Easter!!!
Post a Comment