The story of a gay 18 year old, now 21, embarking on the journey of life...
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Titanic Anniversary - Pictures
Today and tomorrow (14th and 15th) is the 98th anniversary of the sinking of the R.M.S. Titanic. I'm going to post pictures of the Titanic's story. Why? Because it's an obsession of mine, that's why :)
Listen to this as you look at the pics:
Also, right click the pics and select open in new tab or window to see better detail.
I'm sure Wayne is gonna be pissed I didn't post anything "exciting!"
The Titanic was a very well constructed ship for the time. A large factor of safety was built into the construction. But the factor of safety did not include full speed along the side of a huge iceberg. Because this type of accident was really quite rare at this time; most ships reduced speed near iceberg hazards or went around them. The Titanic sinking was just stupidity and supremely bad luck. One sister ship was torpedoed as a hospital ship, and the other one continued in service until it was scrapped. I loved the movie too. -I'm rather surprised that no one today has built a huge zepplin airship with internal framework and helium. (not a blimp) It would be very safe, impressive to say the least, and would be like the cruise liner of the skies. There would be no shortage of passengers. Great pics Peter; bfn - Wayne :)
Airships are extremely vulnerable to severe and unpredictable weather phenomenon. The US Navy lost several airships due to storms and subsequently lost interest in them.
James Horner's score is so good... I have the soundtrack. When I was in like 8th grade I was obsessed with soundtracks/scores. I love this score. I also love the score for The Hours (awesome movie too). Completely different 'style' of score, but awesome none the less.
So Pete, I'm with Lunty-- why the interest? Do you enjoy the grandeur of it? The architecture/complexity? The story?
I mean I know you like history a lot so obviously that plays a part. But Im just curious. This may explain a lot about Pete :-)
Aren't you EXCITED about the prom *fake smile*!!!?! No I wouldn't be either... I didn't go to mine out of protest, but I went to plenty of school formal dances prior to senior year to know that I could give a shit about prom. But I really hope you have fun...there must be some reason everyone wants to go...
I actually live a few miles from the Titanic dock. The buildings where the designs where brought up and the full dry dock still exist. Also, the tug boat that pulled the great Titanic out to sea from Belfast is being restored. Its all so exciting.
8 comments:
im curious as to why ur so interested in this boat :P
the construction pics are really interesting, Pete.
thanks
torchy!
The Titanic was a very well constructed ship for the time. A large factor of safety was built into the construction. But the factor of safety did not include full speed along the side of a huge iceberg. Because this type of accident was really quite rare at this time; most ships reduced speed near iceberg hazards or went around them. The Titanic sinking was just stupidity and supremely bad luck. One sister ship was torpedoed as a hospital ship, and the other one continued in service until it was scrapped. I loved the movie too.
-I'm rather surprised that no one today has built a huge zepplin airship with internal framework and helium. (not a blimp) It would be very safe, impressive to say the least, and would be like the cruise liner of the skies. There would be no shortage of passengers. Great pics Peter; bfn - Wayne :)
I was wondering if you were going to celebrate! question answered!
Well, this answers part of my question.
It is certainly worth remembering.
There is a plaque in Symphony Hall in Boston honoring the musicians who continued to play as the ship went down.
Airships are extremely vulnerable to severe and unpredictable weather phenomenon. The US Navy lost several airships due to storms and subsequently lost interest in them.
James Horner's score is so good... I have the soundtrack. When I was in like 8th grade I was obsessed with soundtracks/scores. I love this score. I also love the score for The Hours (awesome movie too). Completely different 'style' of score, but awesome none the less.
So Pete, I'm with Lunty-- why the interest? Do you enjoy the grandeur of it? The architecture/complexity? The story?
I mean I know you like history a lot so obviously that plays a part. But Im just curious. This may explain a lot about Pete :-)
Aren't you EXCITED about the prom *fake smile*!!!?! No I wouldn't be either... I didn't go to mine out of protest, but I went to plenty of school formal dances prior to senior year to know that I could give a shit about prom. But I really hope you have fun...there must be some reason everyone wants to go...
STeve
I actually live a few miles from the Titanic dock. The buildings where the designs where brought up and the full dry dock still exist. Also, the tug boat that pulled the great Titanic out to sea from Belfast is being restored. Its all so exciting.
Post a Comment