Mom is in charge of the yearbook for my old high school. Today she was working on the senior's section which includes "senior memories." They are a paragraph or so the senior write about their best memories.
A gay boy wrote about him and his boyfriend. Mom took that part out "because it's weird." I said she should put it back in. She said she might if there was room. She also said that he'd "be sorry for that someday."
I don't know what that mean't.
Sorry for the crappy post. I'm dead tired. Goodnight
3 comments:
I forget if you're out to her.
As for what she meant, I'm guessing she's of a generation where it was safer to be closeted, so she assumes that if he outs himself it will lead to problems with his classmates or with other people who read it later.
It sucks that so many young gay people must wait until they are in their early twenties (when they are financially independent and can live on their own) so they can live life without the psychological damage of hearing their sexuality being disparaged at home. Best to have a discrete semi-closeted lifestyle until then if your parents are not liberal and open-minded.
-You do need that gay partner who has no qualms about his sexuality and gives you some much-needed emotional support. In a very few years you can be out on your own with a partner and double incomes, and a measure of personal power and confidence. So hang in there and get out and circulate, and have some fun. Not a crappy post btw. bfn - Wayne
Your mother has a long way to go.
Post a Comment