Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Alex's Birthday

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is Alex's birthday. He'll be turning 16.

Sunday, he had a birthday party of sorts. People on Twitter asked me why I wasn't there and why I wasn't invited. Well, it's more of a family gathering than it is a fully party. His friends from the neighborhood don't show up (though they were there later to play hockey), and I haven't been at one since we were young (a long time ago!). In church he said he'd bring pieces of cake over for Dad and I which he normally does.

I went to Mom's house for dinner. Her house is in town; being only 5 minutes drive away. Alex texted me around 8 p.m. asking if I was home. I told him I wasn't but I would be soon. He told me to tell him when I was.

(By the way, Alex used to text like this: "R u home?" "K... tell me when u r." Sunday he was writing normally: "Are you home? "Ok... tell me when you are." Maturity!)

A half hour later I was ready to leave so I texted him and said I'd be there in 5 minutes. He brought the two piece of cake over after I pulled in the driveway. He told me the cake had a picture of Sidney Crosby on it. The pieces I got have his feet on one and his leg on the other. Dad ate the leg piece lol. Anyway, after he gave me the cake and told me about it, he said "see ya" went home.

If you remember, I gave him my brother's old skates and a card last year (of which he still has yet to thank me for even though he uses the skates almost everyday...). I didn't get him anything this year, but I will send a "happy birthday" text message at midnight (20 minutes from the writing of this).


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A Building Panic - James Horner - Titanic
(My favorite part is 4:00 - 5:30)

2 comments:

naturgesetz said...

Sounds like plenty for his birthday. Nice of him to bring some cake to you and your dad.

wayner said...

Sounds very sweet. You guys are only a couple of years apart. Now that hockey season is over maybe you could get outside more in the nice weather; you never know who you could bump into. bfn - Wayne :)