Saturday, I was sitting outside like usual and Alex and his friends (Alex2 and Joe) were sitting on his porch (couldn't see them but could hear them). Alex had been playing hockey earlier in the day so the net was still over there. It was about a quarter to 9 when Alex brought it back. I was wearing my headphones so I wouldn't have noticed him if he hadn't hit the garage with the net while setting it down. I looked over and he looked at me and gave a little wave and said, "I'd come over to chat but my sister just decided to tell me about all the chores I have to do tonight."
The day before, he had been coughing a lot. Sunday, it was even worse. He had to get up and get a drink twice during church. The second time he just stayed in the kitchen so he wouldn't disrupt church. Just as a side note, he still sits with me during church, and yesterday we were kinda close despite the coughing :p I told him he should go see a doctor. He said a teacher at school said he could have pneumonia and Dad said he wouldn't be surprised if he did.
When I'm near someone who is coughing or sneezing, I'll usually lean away and kinda cover my mouth/nose when they do it because I don't want to get sick. (this is important in a minute)
I spent the evening at Mom's with her and her boyfriend so I got home too late to sit outside. Dinner with Mom and her BF is kinda becoming a Sunday tradition. Anyway, so I didn't see Alex outside of church Sunday.
Today, I went outside at the usual time (around 8p). Alex's sister came over and gave me something to give to Dad, but there was no sign of Alex. A little while after that I could hear him coughing. I knew he must have been sitting on his front porch (which is on the opposite side of his house than the one that faces my house). If I could hear him coughing at that distance, then that's a pretty bad cough :S
So I sent him a text message saying, "Wow... I can hear you coughing all the way over here right now. I hope you go see a doctor soon..." I think I mentioned in one of my recent posts that Alex hasn't been in the habit of replying to my texts no matter what I would say so I'm used to not getting responses. However, to my surprise he actually sent one back! Here's what followed:
Alex: I went today
Me: Good!
Then I got worrying about me getting sick since we were sitting close to each other for about an hour in church. So I sent another message:
"Wait... whatever you have isn't contagious, right?"
Alex: Idk y?
(I don't know why?)
Me: Just checking to see if I'm going to get sick. I'm paranoid you know :p
(I have no idea if he knows what :p means lol)
Alex: Well with the way you act when I cough you shouldn't lol
I couldn't think of anything else so I just said back, "Lol that's true." I knew he wouldn't reply back to that; I mean what are you supposed to say to that? lol
So now that you're all caught on the happenings with Alex, let me say that all that's happened in the last week is a MAJOR improvement compared to last year! Actually, it's quite the opposite of what's been happening. And except for me starting the texting conversation tonight, the rest has all been him: he came over Wednesday, Friday night, and said he would have Saturday night but he had chores do to. He also replied to a text message that I'm pretty sure he never would have relied to last year.
It may still be too early to tell, but it looks like things are slowly making a 180 degree turn.
Am I setting myself up to get hurt again? Maybe, but I think I've learned not to be clingy or anything that led to our "split" before, so maybe not also.
We shall see...
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
John Williams is amazing
3 comments:
True-- all very good I agree. Do you think he is as discerning about his interaction with you as you are with him? I mean is your history with Alex such that he probably thinks about replying or not replying as a conscious decision...or do you think its just not a big deal to him either way?
I just know that I always thought that I looked too hard into things with guys that I had a crush on...but you have a "history" with Alex-- so maybe he is purposely not replying, etc. In any case-- you're right, good news that your friendship maybe coming back :-) next up-- camping! :p
Have i asked what Alex looks like before? Is there any celebrities or anyone that he looks like?
I'm happy for ya-
Steve
Yeah. I really think he's more comfortable with you now that your pursuing him is ancient history. So if you can stay cool, the friendship might continue to recover. But there is no guarantee that he will ever develop feelings for you anything like yours for him. So if you can just enjoy his company, whenever he wants to spend some time with you, and avoid pushing for more, I think you'll get as much satisfaction from the friendship as possible.
If you are going to be on a friendly basis with Alex, beyond just quick hellos and texts, you need to get outside with him more, and be friendly with his friends; show them some respect and they will like you. Get your dad's car and invite Alex out for a drive and a coffee when you can. Too much seriousness can ruin friendships; some wit, charm and being fun will keep your friendship. Find out what activities Alex and his friends are into this summer and join them when you can. Lots of other young guys around your age so keep your options open. - Wayne :)
Post a Comment