Saturday, August 28, 2010

First Week of College

My first week of college was... hectic to say the least.

After the first day I realized I had picked the wrong major. I picked Architectural Drafting and Design with CAD since I like building 3D models. I thought that major was focused on CAD but it isn't at all. The major I wanted is called Computer-Aided Drafting Technologies. I'm not sure why I didn't realize my mistake earlier...

Anyway so I changed my major Tuesday morning. I was already taking 3 required classes so I just had to drop 2 from the original major and add 2 more for the new major. The two new classes are Technical Drawing and Intro to Microcomputing.

The microcomputing class is really just a basic computer class where you learn how to operate a computer and use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. I already know how to do all that stuff so I was able to "test out" of that class. I had to pay $156 and take the final exam. I passed with an %80 which is a B. Since I passed I get full credit for that course but don't have to go to any classes or anything. That means I only have to take 4 classes now.

Speaking of my schedule, it's a little weird. Basically I have a class every morning then a class from 6-9 every night except Fridays.

MWF I have Technical Math I from 9-10 then Technical Drawing from 6-9 (except Friday)
Tues. and Thurs. I have English I from 9:30 to 11 then Intro to AutoCAD from 6-9. Since there is a big gap between classes, I go home after the morning class. It takes 45 minutes one way and it's ~25 miles so I'm putting ~100 miles on my car a day :\ At least until Mom officially gets the house which is only 10 minutes away from the college.


I've made one friend already. A female :P We met Tuesday when I was waiting in a lounge for my night class. We have the same Intro to AutoCAD class.

There is also a guy in that class who is also in my Tech Drawing class. He's cute but straight :P He's the only cute guy I've noticed in any of my classes D:

7 comments:

Just said...

glad you were able to test out of those classes... sucks you had to pay $156 dollars for it ... but well worth the effort.... 100 miles a day is rough but glad you don't have to do it long!

Joe said...

Good luck Peter. Make more friends and get involved in some activities. If the school has a student newspaper, that is a great place to get involved. You might be able to find a part time job in the library or one of the school offices where you can spend some of those hours between classes. Working as a student assistant in a lab is a great opportunity to make money and make friends.

naturgesetz said...

Sounds like a pretty good beginning.

That's a lot of miles, and time, to be commuting. Good thing it's only for a few weeks.

It's too bad nothing in the extra-curriculars interests you. It would be a good way to meet potential friends. But if you're not interested in the activity for its own sake, then just meeting people is not that great a reason for joining. After all, you meet people in you classes.

Have you managed to reconnect with Andrew?

Peter said...

@NG

You keep mentioning Andrew in your comments but I keep forgetting to mention him in my posts!

We never met up at orientation. We have been texting occasionally and commenting on each others' Facebook posts about college, but that's it.

wayner said...

Well it sounds like things are working out ok; be sure and get your homework done in the afternoons instead of playing video games! And why is it that closeted gay guys attract girls like flies to honey? Isn't that just the luck? Get the gadar out around that school; they gotta be there somewhere lol. bfn - Wayne :)

Jason Shaw said...

Sorry I've not been around in ages, life gets in the way sometimes! But hey seems like college is going well, and the nice cute boy too!

All the best.

Steevo said...

How do you know that cute guy is str8? Don't assume anything and a cute str8 friend might have gay friends. Same with girls that flock to gay guys, and they do! They usually know lotta gay guys.