Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Going to the Symphony (Maybe)

I mentioned in a previous post a trip to Pittsburgh Mom and I were planning.

She had bought us tickets to see a concert at Heinz Hall performed by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra titled, "John Williams and the Music of the Movies" and it was to be conducted by John Williams himself.

Unfortunately, due to a back injury, he was no able to make it to Pittsburgh and therefore the concert was cancelled. They're supposedly working on rescheduling it...


A question for symphony goers (Naturgesetz), what should I wear?

6 comments:

ChubbyGayTrucker said...

as a symphony goer and ex employee since it is prolly listed as a pops concert u could get away with a real nice button down shirt and nice jeans but i suggest slacks. if u do the jeans id through on a dress/sports coat to fancy it up a bit. if it where in the more classical vain u would need to add a tie to the outfit and def NO jeans. lol hope this helps

wayner said...

You would probably get much better advice from some other commenters concerning proper dress lol. I'm a jeans and sneakers guy and my musical taste doesn't extend beyond pop music. (although I do appreciate some classical music) Your mother could give good advice too. bfn - Wayne :)

naturgesetz said...

Basically, I agree with ChubbyGayTrucker.

Here's what the BSO's website says:
"Attire
While there is no dress code for Boston Symphony and Boston Pops performances, patrons generally wear semi-formal, elegant, and business attire. Formal attire is requested on certain occasions, including Opening Night at Symphony and Opening Night at Pops."

Despite what they say there, they are also making concerted efforts (pun intended) to bring in under-40 patrons, including college students. This results in having a fair number of people dressed in jeans, t-shirts with open vests, etc.

Again I basically agree: slacks and a good shirt would be safe. If you're not sure, I'd say go for the dressier option rather than the more casual. There will be some people in jacket and tie, so even that would not be out of place, and you're certainly not going to be overdressed.

J said...

Neat, casual dress is acceptable these days. The crowds at Lincoln Center these days look no better.

Planetx_123 said...

I agree with everyone above. Go with slacks and an oxford shirt, but u can go sans tie + jacket. Or go tie+jacket. I personally think tie with no jacket looks silly...but maybe its just me.

And yea you will see people in formal ware and some in tshirts+jeans, but I think tshirt+jeans to symphony is tacky.

I was going to the symphony saturday! but am going to a musical instead...so now i have an extra ticket to the smyphony :\ (i have season tix)

Steve

Anonymous said...

NO jeans,no T-shirt. Tie not necessary, however, if you put a tie, you have to get a jacket. Or: have a tie in your pocket (jacket) and see whether to put it on or not. HAVE FUN!
HUGS
Oliver