Thursday, November 11, 2010

Polar Opposite Days

Yesterday was probably the worst day of the semester. Aside from my morning class math class, I spend nearly all day working on Tech Drawing work. A bunch of worksheets on auxiliary views were due yesterday and also a take-home test.

During the first part of the day, I finished the take-home test. Then I had lunch and wrote the symphony post. By the way, I think I'll wear my suit with no tie. I like that look :)

The rest of the day (from 1p-5:30p), I was trying to wrap my head around auxiliary views. I won't bore you with what they are since probably none of you are interested in drafting :P I just couldn't get it and I got really frustrated. Knowing there was a drawing test during class, I had to know how to draw an auxiliary view.

By the time 5p rolled around, I still had a bunch of incomplete worksheets and I still didn't understand how to do an auxiliary view without looking at the book.

So I was angry with myself for not being able to understand it, frustrated with the class, and pissed off with the instructor, who is not cut out to be a teacher at all.

For the test, we had to draw views for each of the individual parts of a gyroscope, draw assembled views, one auxiliary view of the base, dimension it, etc. We had the entire class time to do it (3 hours). No one got done. I got most of the drawings done, but I didn't have enough time to dimension it and some of the other things.

Grr...


Today has been completely different though :)

I'm writing this with only half the day gone, so hopefully I don't jinx it :P

Anyway, I had English class this morning. As I've said before, I really like my English professor. I'm definitely going to take his English II class next semester.

Tuesday, we had to turn in a revision of our worst paper of the semester. Today, we graded another class's revisions. The exercise is to help identify mistakes in writing and know how to fix them. It better helps you as a writer identify your own mistakes. We've never done this exercise before. We were being graded on both our grading and the grade we got on our revisions. We were allowed to leave when we were done.

Barely 15 minutes into the exercise and people were getting done. A girl handed the professor the paper she was grading and he asked her why there weren't many marks on it. She said it was because she didn't see much wrong with it. He said, "So if I go over this paper, I won't find much wrong with it?" She said, "Well you might, but that's why you're the professor. I'm not here to be an English teacher." He just said "ok" and she left.

An older lady (early 40s maybe) and I were the last ones to get done. When it was just us left, the professor said, "And here you two are, the best writers in the class and the ones who will benefit least from this exercise, poring over these papers and are actually taking time to find the mistakes, correct them and are the last ones to finish."

That compliment made my day :D

Then the prof said, "That girl, when she said she wasn't here to be an English teacher, I thought to myself 'I don't want you to be an English teacher anyway.' If you're going to be an English teacher, you had better be fluent in your native tongue."

This guy is my favorite teacher <3

My Dad, being a minister, has to have exceptional English and speaking skills. My Mom, being a librarian and high school teacher, also has to have good English skills. I am glad they passed it on to me :)

Oh and if you were wondering, the paper I got had a lot of red ink on it after I was done :P I gave it a C grade, though he would have probably given it a D.

6 comments:

naturgesetz said...

That English teacher sounds great!

If no one finished the worksheets, maybe you're okay with the Tech Drawing. Hopefully it will get clearer as you go.

Suit with no tie sounds good. Wish I could be there to see you. Maybe you can post a pic.

Anonymous said...

Good work Peter. The cream always rises to the top.

wayner said...

I think by 'auxillary view' you mean a view other than top, end, or side. If the teacher confuses you then always consult the textbook, but keep plugging away until you understand it; maybe see if Google can clarify things.
-It amazes me how the youth of today can be illiterate or be bad at English with all the electronic media available which require good reading for use. Too much rap music and hyper texting lol. bfn - Wayne :)

Planetx_123 said...

what a nice compliment! I love profs like that :-)

Glad you had a good day Peter!

Steve

Anonymous said...

I love teachers/professors who actually take their profession serious and know how to pass on some wisdom to their students!

And hey, I'd really like to talk to you on MSN! :D


Lu

Jason Shaw said...

Hard work and passion go hand in hand. The mark of a good teacher is an exam result, the mark of a great teacher lays in the lives of the students he teaches.

Lovely post, love your prof.