Found out that I have to return my computer, printer, and all accessories to my cyber school people.
-_-
Who knows when I'll be getting a new one. Not sure yet when FedEx is coming to pick this one up; we have to schedule a time.
So now I have to uninstall all my games and programs. Anyone know who to wipe a hard drive clean?
So since I don't know when my computer is going to be taken, or when I'm getting a new one I guess I'll say goodbye for now :'(
NOTE: I'm NOT leaving permanently! Just until I can get my own computer.
15 comments:
Dang! Look for hot deals on refurbished computers. Laptops? And just ask everyone you know if they have an old computer you can have or a printer/monitor.
Lots of people have an old used computer in the closet. Look on Craigs list. Post there too "HS senior needs any working computer set up. I had to return mine to the homeschool I left."
Ask teachers, have mom ask teachers at her school. Many school districts have an internal bulletin board for employees to sell and buy stuff, etc.
Ask the techie teacher at new school for suggestions. Your new school might be able to loan you an old school computer. No harm asking. REALLY! IT SHOULD BE EASY TO FIND SOMETHING TO USE UNTIL YOU EARN SOME MONEY TO GET A NEW ONE.
Maybe someone here has one. Maybe the donor could ship it to Ngetz or Uncle Bob [old and trustworthy XD] who could fwd it to you? If you are willing to give one of them your address or some address. Someone must have an idea.
LOOK FOR FreeCycle in PA. National user group that has localized adds for stuff people have and want.
Dad's congregation? Sometimes big companies get all new computers and give away the old ones.
Look: http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/Pennsylvania
There is also CheapCycle.org. Will u do email? Like on a computer at church or does dad have one at home?
Explain the donated computer as from a techie nerd user group you visit sometimes. Well we r kinda like that... sometimes. XD
steevo
oh no! now your leaving :( that sucks your blog was the first blog that I came across when I started my blog. I will miss your post.
PS: I have a really old like 1990's monitor if you really need one.
There are programs that will wipe the hard drive clean to Department of Defense standards, and it only takes a few minutes. But remember, the people who let you use the computer may penalize you for wiping the operating system off, so you should reload it if you have the disc.
Sorry to hear that, Peter.
First, as J mentions, make sure if you are allowed to erase the system or not - I'm going to guess not, but either way make sure you check. Also, I'm going to guess that the IT people at the school will simply wipe your system and re-image it to the default settings of what they originally sent you, in case they send it to the next person.
You don't really need to be too paranoid about them digging into your system, but you should wipe things anyway. I would do the following:
1) Back up any important files, images, documents etc onto a seperate drive. FFS, back up your blog too, while you're at it!!! If you don't have an external drive or even a thumb drive, you can use various online (free) services that provide file storage. Make sure you save all your stuff from places like My Documents, as well as internet bookmarks (Firefox or IE store them in different locations) and anything else important (music, photos) that might be in various locations on your drive.
2) use CCleaner program (free) (http://www.ccleaner.com) to erase all the personal info on your system. Check all the options under the Windows and Applications tab, including the greyed-out ones which will warn you of impending doom. LOL.
** check that you are allowed to before you follow the next step **
3) Get a (free) program such as Active@KillDisk, which will wipe your drive completely. You will have to burn the .iso file to a bootable CD-rom (or floppy, LOL). They provide instructions I believe, under the Users Guide section - its relatively simple to do. Run the program and let it churn away. You're good to go.
If you need help with any of the steps, feel free to email me.
Good luck with that, Secret Agent Peter - and wishing you the best until you get back online!!
*hugs*
LOOK!!!
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=free+computers+for+students+PA&btnG=Google+Search
I hope one of the sites Steevo has told you about comes through for you.
If worst comes to worst, I'd be willing to forward something that a fellow blogger makes available, if you don't want to disclose your location to them. There's an address I can give them which will get it to someone I can trust.
Good luck. In this day and age, it's almost unheard of for a high school senior not to have a computer of his own.
P.S. Looking forward to having you back with us — soon I hope.
Awwww do you have to leave? i'll miss you .lol
Jove,
Limi
Peter
Im sure we can work somethng out i know i have an old computer here that is five or six years old
but i also know we can talk about about things it just what can you explain to your dad is all
send me an email im sailing tomorrow. when does this all occur
take care and be safe
bob
dang, imma miss you when ur away D':
@ Steevo:
Thanks Steevo, but Dad and I both agreed that now would be a good time to get a new computer (preferably a laptop) that will last me through college.
@ LonelyBi_Boy:
I'll only be gone temporarily. Just a few weeks.
@ J & Seth:
Thanks!
@ NG & Bob:
Thanks for the offer to help out guys, but like I said to Steevo I'll be getting a new computer before school starts in a couple weeks.
@ Jimi & Anon:
Thanks! I'll miss blogging too, but it's only for a few weeks.
Good news indeed in your comment this a.m.!
Looking forward to your bright shiny return with a bright shiny new computer.
Whew. But chances are a new computer in AUG 2009 will be 50% obsolete in 2-3 years. Depending on your major, you may need another in a few years.
And I think you can email/send posts from a cell phone? Not sure.
oh.
well, hope u come back quick!
Peter - I've got a computer I'm preparing to donate to my kids school - you're more than welcome to it - just let me know - I'll be back from the beach next weekend
Post a Comment