Oh
My
Fucking
God...
What a day this has been!
Dad and I went up to the school to get me scheduled for me senior (12th grade) year. We got put into the conference room, and waited for the guidance counselor. She was out in the office talking when i heard her say, "... no, he will be in 11th grade." I didn't know she was talking about me at the time. Then she came in and said, "Okay, we are here today to get you scheduled for your junior year (11th)." Thinking she just made a mistake and got me mixed up with whoever she was talking about earlier I said, "I'll be a senior." She said, "Oh, no. You're not honey."
Then it just went downhill from there... We ended up making two trips to the school, but neither resolved the issue:
You need to have at least 18 credits to be a senior (12th grade). According to all the transcripts that she got from my previous schools, I only have 13.5; that makes me a junior (11th grade). Now here is where the weird part is; I got a paper from the cyber school people when we were trying to decide on summer school. This paper has every credit I earned in my high school career. This paper totals the credits as 18.5. So according to the cyber school, I'm a senior (which they told me at the end of last year); but according to my new school, I'm only a junior.
The problem lies with my previous brick-and-mortar school (the school i went to before doing cyber). Apparently, and the guidance lady said this too, they didn't send the transcript that has the credits I got from there the same year I moved back here and started cyber school. I checked it against the paper that has all my credits on it and found that that missing transcript is indeed the problem. If we had that transcript then I would have 5 additional credits, and if I had those 5 credits then my total credits will equal 18.5; just like this one piece of paper says.
However, the guidance lady cannot go by what this paper says because it's not an official transcript. But when she saw it she realized what the problem was too, but she can't do anything unless she gets that missing transcript.
So, officially, I am a senior; which is where I should be. But since there is that missing transcript, she has no choice but to keep me as a junior.
Now, here is a scenario: Bob passes 11th grade with flying colors. However, while making his schedule for the next year, the guidance counselor accidentally throws a transcript of his away, which then forces him to lose X number of credits, preventing him to move on to the next grade level; forcing him to repeat a year he's already taken and passed.
That, essentially, is what's happening here.
BUT
If I do cyber school again, I'll be a senior. If I go to the local school district, I'll only be a junior because of a misplaced transcript...
Which would you choose?
Wasting a whole year of your life doing something you've already done?
Or
Moving on and completing school and get on with your life?
OH! That probably raises a question. What if I do repeat a year, and therefore take classes I already had? Which grade would be looked at by a college? Well, both, but according to the guidance counselor, they only consider the FIRST grade unless you failed the first time. So, that really isn't going to be better.
::EDIT::
I just looked over my grades for the bazillionth time today. Now I'm getting that my total credits minus the missing ones should be 15, not 13.5. Also, if it is 15, then my total credits should be 19.5 instead of 18.5 like that paper says. Of course, that throws everything else off too...
So I've concluded that if that transcript does come in, but if there is still a problem with me being a Senior, then I'm going to have her give me the transcripts and go thru each and every one with her until we get to the bottom of this. If there is still a problem then it should only be by .5 credits. Idk if she'll argue over .5 credits or not, but if she does then I'm doing cyber school again regardless if Mom says so or not; frankly, it's not really her decision. I think it should be mine, plus I don't even live with her. She has a awful habit of making up my mind for me... But that's another post.
Fuck, my head really hurts today.
7 comments:
i think you summed it up nicely: OMFG.
jeez what a fckn mess. from where i sit (a long way from the action), your #1 priority would be to do year 12. #2 is to go to your local school.
ideally both. you obviously need to lean on your previous bricks and mortar school to get them to either re-issue the transcript or some kind of, maybe notarised, letter confirming that you did get those credits.
then you need to give that your 'guidance counsellor' and tell her to shove it where the sun don't shine.
i'm thinking legal advice or taking it to a higher authority might be in order as well. are the previous school and the new school in the same district, is there a common point in the hierarchy above them.
my naive view is that this could surely be resolved by talking and negotiating. don't give up. please. you really need #1 AND #2 AND your mum behind you.
Good Luck
and HUGS
torchy!
Fight it!!!
Welcome to the academic bureaucracy, which is the most convoluted type of bureaucracy ever invented (just wait until you enroll in college - it's even worse if you can imagine that.) Many a student have been effed by this monster's incoherent decision-making process. But in your case, I think things will work out and you will be allowed to enroll as a senior - if it just a matter of a missing transcript. Get one of you parents to call the school whose transcript is missing and get them to FedEx an official transcript to your new school. Good luck.
OMG thats fucked up. Sounds like a major battle there - be thankful its only a highschool issue - college registrars would be ten times worse. Just wait LOL.
But there must be a way they can reconcile all that nonsense. Hopefully they can work it out.
Peter
How far can this other school be just go get a copy of the transcripts
and bob passes lol take carea nd be safe
bob
hey Peter - like Bob said and I told you earlier - get in the car and go sit in the office of that other school until they hand you the missing transcript in a sealed envelope - they screwed up but unfortunately in this world if you want something done right sometimes you have to buck up and do it yourself!
That's the trouble with bureaucracy. It should be obvious to your current school that you had to be *somewhere* before cyber school. So it should be obvious that there is a missing transcript. So they ought to be able to call you a senior, at least provisionally, until the mess gets straightened out.
BTW, for now does it matter what they call you? I mean, will you still be in the classes you'd been planning to be in?
Anyway, goleft is right. You (and hopefully your parents) should go to the old school in person and go up the chain as far as you have to to get the thing taken care of. Have them fax a copy of the correct transcript (get the fax number and person's name for it to go to from your new school) and have them give you a copy for you to keep and one in a sealed envelope for you to deliver and have them mail another copy, all properly signed and sealed.
Talk to your folks about what to do if the old school doesn't correct the problem. The thing is,you're being sent to the bricks-and mortar school because you weren't performing up to your potential in the cyber school. Another year like that could adversely impact your college prospects.
Post a Comment