Sunday, April 5, 2009

Peter's Lawn Care

Since grass cutting weather is coming and since I don't have a job, why not start a lawn care service?

I'm a total amateur at this, but I do know how to operate a mower. There aren't any other lawn care services so I won't have any competition except from those who like to mow their own yards.

Dad likes the idea (probably because it will get me out of the house), and says he knows some people who are always looking for mowers, such as the fire station and an old cemetery.

For those people who like to mow their own yards:

Most people go on vacation right? Well if it's a long vacation (a week +) then who is going to mow their yard?

ME!

Dad says I should charge $10 per hour. Most of the yards here will only require a little over an hour to do. The nice thing is that you have to cut every week. So if I get five customers, that's $50 a week (assuming it only takes an hour). There are usually 4 weeks in a month, so that's a total of $200 a month. Times ~5 months that's $1,000 (The " ~ " means "about" for those who don't know that). That may not sound like a whole lot to you people with jobs, but to me that's a lot!

Of course it doesn't end their. When the seasons change, why not rake leaves too? Or shovel snow? Or after the money starts to accumulate, I can get more equipment and start doing other things too. For instance, I could start trimming hedges/bushes/trees, or plant flowers/trees/bushes/hedges/etc. The 'business' would then be turned into a landscaping business instead of a lawn care one. If that happens then that means more money.

Of course I can't do it all alone. Someone will have to help me. Alex knows how to operate a tractor so he is a good candidate. His dad also knows a lot of landscaping things. I'll have to see if Alex would be interested. His mom wouldn't mind the idea I'm sure. She will probably convince him to do it.

Having a partner means splitting the income though.

-_-

Don't forget to read and comment on the other post I wrote today too.

Oh, and I will be using my logo as the logo for my lawn care business. Dad says I should change the colors from red and white to green and white.

13 comments:

torchy! said...

Peter, sounds like a gd idea to me, and if you wanna cut my lawn, heck, i'll give you $20 an hour (but you'll have to arrange your own transport)!

if you need help to change your logo, let me know!

torchy!

Seth said...

no way. 20 bucks an hour at least. or a flat rate per lawn. they cant afford that they shouldn't have a lawn LOL.

Anonymous said...

Schedule of rates:

All rates are per hour, and in white socks and work boots:

In regular work clothes $10
Shirtless $15
In shorts, shirtless $20
In Speedo $25
In jockstrap $30
Naked (available on on
secluded rear yards) Call

Anonymous said...

Pete, Peter, what do you prefer?

I like the speedos and shirtless idea. But realistically you think about the gasoline expense. If gas goes bonkers again, you could be short changed. You might break out the expenses between labor and fuel. That way, they might provide the fuel (and you might be able to roll away with a free full tank for your next job)
K

naturgesetz said...

I think $10/hr. is reasonable for a high school kid with no experience.

A number of years ago, I hired a high school kid to mow my lawn. He did a good job, and kept doing it every year until he graduated from college. Of course once he went away to college, he could only do it during summer vacation, but that was a big help.

I'd love to have another high school kid available for the mowing and raking.

So I think it's a great idea.

You won't need a partner until you have way more tan five customers (except maybe for the raking and shoveling). But if you do, you might as well ask Alex. He could keep things going if you don't have as much time when you're in college.

But in the middle of the summer, unless people water their lawns heavily, they don't really need weekly mowing, at least not around here. Maybe you get more rain. But be prepared to be flexible about the frequency. Also about how short you cut the grass. Most people like it pretty short (too short, IMO), but I think if it's 2 1/2 or 3" it shades the roots and keeps the ground moister and looks better. So different customers may like different heights, which you can handle easily if the mower has a device to adjust the height.

And if you make over $400 profit you get to pay Social Security tax!

J said...

I'd charge $20 unless the yard is quite small. Remember, you'll have to have a weed-eater to do the edging. If you don't know much about small engines you should read up about them, because there is oil to change, spark plugs and air filters to replace, and an occasional blade. Make sure you get very reliable equipment. Consumer Reports rates mowers and weed-eaters. Honda, Toro and Lawn Boy are the best rated gas mowers. The '09 Buyer's Guide has a great little article about accessories. I think you should get a mower that has a self-propulsion engagement, rear rather than side bagging for the clippings(if the customer wants them picked up)and automatic cut off when you release the handle. Don't use too heavy a plastic string on your weed-eater, because it will jam up more often if you do and doesn't automatic feed well.
If you buy this stuff new you will spend anywhere from $500 to almost $1,000, but you might find good used equipment for sale in the papers. Just check it out thoroughly before you purchase. And remember, you may have to get a low-boy to haul your stuff around.
Make sure the size of your mower will accomodate the yards you will service. And forget about that shorts and shirtless business. You'll have to wear sun block and bug repellant anyway, and the branches and occasional rocks will tear you up if you don't cover up. Don't forget the work gloves, because blisters are a bitch.
This year I'm going to a lawn service that cuts, mulches, seeds and fertilizes the lawn and garden areas. It costs, but I'm getting tired of messing with it on my own. (Hedge trimming is the worst, and I'll probably still have to do that. Gas hedge trimmers are really heavy, and you usually need a step ladder.) Most of the lawn services where I live use Mexican workers, but I wouldn't ask to see their green cards.
It's possible to make good money if you build the business up, but like everything it takes time.
This is a long post, but I appreciate your initiative and hope this will help.

Col said...

A brilliant money-making idea Peter, especially as there's no competition. Some great advice for you too! Just make sure that you can be relied upon though. There's nothing worse than tradesmen not turning-up when they're supposed to. I tell them I've found somebody else to do the job!

Good luck,
Col

J said...

Update: This month's issue of CR has new evaluations of gas mowers. It appears Lawn Boy has been surpassed by Craftsman in the top three.

Peter said...

Hey thanks for all the support guys!

I actually thought everyone would have told me its a bad idea and it would never work.

Aahsazyl said...

wha?!?!
peter...work?!?!?
8-}

victor the guy who hates cutting grass said...

dude. charge a flat rate based on the size of the yard, and whether they want it bagged or not or raked or edged.

a few years ago i hired this fellow to cut my grass off, and it was like 25$ for the front, and he used my mower (because his didn't work). no bag, no rake no nothing. and i have a fairly tiny front yard.

good luck then.

btw, i would be careful about partnering with alex, unless you get things corrected between you (i almost said straight!!). if you two have a rowe, that would not be good for business.

J said...

Victor makes a good point. As the old saying goes, don't fuck the help.

torchy! said...

you know, when i entered the gay corner of the blogosphere and started my own blog, i never suspected for one moment that i'd be leaving a comment about lawn mowers!

i use an MTD petrol driven one and it's a *bitch* to start! now i've been going to the gym, it's getting easier though!

say, this post has attracted loads of comments. maybe i should talk about lawn mowers at my blog :)

have fun Peter
torchy!