Before I actually get into the sermon outline; there are actually two parts to this post. The first deals with the sermon, and the other is about what is over on my Twitter right now (I just got back from Alex's).
Okay now for the sermon part. You might want to read or re-read Part I first.
And remember; this is just an outline. There was a lot more said than what you see here.
April 26, 2009
Scripture: Psalm 66
Message: The 'Why' Question
Introduction: In considering the Titanic tragedy or any other, the question is raised, "why would God allow such a thing?" The thinking goes, if God is good, then He must be powerless to stop it. If He is all-powerful and can stop it and doesn't, then He must not be a good and loving God. Psalm 66 speaks about both God's power and His love:
[If you have seen what a Psalm (a Psalm is a song) is written like, you will know that it is written differently than the rest of the Bible. There are numerous indentations IN THE MIDDLE of a paragraph. For some reason you can't indent on here, so I'll just have to write without all the indents.]
Psalm 66
Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of his name; make his praise glorious! Say to God, "How awesome are your deeds! So great is your power that your enemies cringe before you. All the earth bows down to you; they sing praise to you, they sing praise to your name."
Come and see what God has done, how awesome his works in man's behalf! He turned the sea into dry land, they passed through the waters on foot- come, let us rejoice in him. He rules forever by his power, his eyes watch the nations- let not the rebellious rise up against him.
Praise our God, O peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard; he has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping. For you, O God, tested us; you refined us like silver. You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs. You let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance.
I will come to your temple with burnt offerings and fulfill my vows to you- vows my lips promised and my mouth spoke when I was in trouble. I will sacrifice fat animals to you and an offering of rams; I will offer bulls and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me. I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished sin in my heart the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer. Praise be to God who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!
Introduction: In considering the Titanic tragedy or any other, the question is raised, "why would God allow such a thing?" The thinking goes, if God is good, then He must be powerless to stop it. If He is all-powerful and can stop it and doesn't, then He must not be a good and loving God. Psalm 66 speaks about both God's power and His love.
1. We will look at this question and at some other things overlooked in considering the problem of evil.
2. God allows, but does not cause. God did not put the iceberg in front of Titanic. Nor did God put Titanic on a collision course with the iceberg, nor for any of the factors in her design and construction that prevented evasive maneuvers.
3. These were the products of men's decisions.
4. In making decisions; man is exercising the gift of the will which God gave to man. God could have moved the iceberg by a supernatural act, but chose not too.
5. God could have overruled the decisions of men, but at the cost of removing the very gift of the will He gave man.
6. In the end, the question of why God allows is pointless. It has more to do with the will of man than the power and love of God.
Conclusion: Beyond this is God's amazing ability to bring good out of tragedy.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
So another hot day today. I really can't stand heat. I get headaches if I'm out in it for too long unless I have a drink or something to keep me cool.
Alex sent me a message asking if I wanted to come over with the skates. Of course I would. When I sent my reply I saw Not-So-Annoying-Friend coming down the road. I went over and gave him the skates, then went and stood in the shade while they played around with the puck. Luckily, Alex's sister was out too so I had someone to talk too. They only thing Alex and his friend were talking about was school stuff so I really couldn't join in the conversation since I don't know many people in their grade.
After awhile, I was starting to get a headache. Alex offered to take us inside, but I declined. I just wanted to go back home and rest a little. I did tell him that I would come back out if he wanted me too after it got cooler out.
There was one interesting thing that happened, or maybe it didn't. lol I'm not sure. Alex's parents got their front porch cleaned off yesterday and put the chairs and swing out. I think Alex asked me if I wanted to start sitting outside with him at night again like we used to do last year (this is where all the handjobs took place). I'm just not sure if that's what he said or not because everyone (except me) was talking at the same time and I really couldn't hear him. He didn't ask a second time (yet) either. So, not sure if it really happened, or if the heat had just gone to my head lol.
He just returned the hockey net and skates. I think his family is going on a bike ride with another family from the church. I asked him if he would want the skates when he got back. He said he didn't know because it will probably be dark when they get back (they must be eating out too).
So I guess I'll find out later tonight if he did infact ask if I wanted to sit outside, or if I was just imagining things.
Anyway, I've gotta go eat dinner now.
P.S. I think I said this in the last post, but I'll say it again. I will be answering the questions I was given sometime tomorrow. So if you have any, you better ask now!
P.P.S (Jeez, now I'm starting to sound like Torchy! :p) Just for fun, I added a thingy below my profile pic and name. It counts how many times I've killed a kitten (aka masturbated). I'm sure you all really want to know that :p. I might leave it up for a week, or maybe longer. We'll see.
3 comments:
Save the kittens!
The scriptures will never be able to answer to why evil is inflicted on persons who had no choice in the matter, such as the child born with cerebral palsy who is smart and sentient but cannot communicate or control anything about this body. These children die early of broken hearts. So don't let God off the hook. Random horror is a part of his plan along with everything else. Our problem is that we insist on conceptualizing whoever made this universe within our own notion of right and wrong. Your best biblical answers are in Ecclesiastes, and in Jesus' observation that God sends his rain upon the just and the unjust.
peter
i think i was right go back and check :)
take care and be safe
bob
Post a Comment