Saturday, May 23, 2009

Heartbreaking

I sent the following email to the PSPCA (Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) 6 months ago:

Dear PSPCA,

I am writing to you today to report a case of animal cruelty.

My neighbors have a number of cats and dogs. They leave two of their dogs tied up outside. The first dog, a German Shepard, is tied up to a tree with only an overturned couch as a shelter. The other dog, not sure of its breed but it looks like a Rottweiler, is tied up to a van with only the van as shelter. It has been very cold and snowy the past few weeks, and our neighbors have not showed any signs of moving the animals indoors.

They have a bunch of other dogs, at least 6, who they TRY to keep inside. Frequently they let these dogs outside. When these dogs are outside they are not tied up, which is illegal in our town. They have barked at and chased people as they were walking by. They have scratched the legs of the person who lives across the street (Alex's mom). This person has made a few complaints to the --------- County dog catcher (or someone like that) and to our town police. However they have never done anything about it.

The neighbors also have a number of cats. I'm not sure how many, but at least 3-5. They rarely let the cats inside. These cats wander all over town.

Something needs to be done soon!!

Please let me know if you can do anything about this.

Thank you,

Peter
--------

They sent a reply a few days later that said something like they would be sending an officer to investigate, or something like that. Well, guess what. Nothing has been done as of yet... 6 months later.

So an incident happened about an hour ago that made me email them again:

I wrote to you 6 months ago to report about animal abuse in ------, PA. I have included the original email below this one (above for you).

I was told in a reply email that an officer would be sent to investigate, or something similar to that. Nothing has been done about it so far (to my knowledge anyway). So I'm writing to you again to make some further complaints.

A few weeks ago it rained. Apparently the dog tied to the van didn't have any water. I saw her licking the side of the van as it was raining. It's not really that that bothers me. It's the fact that she has to live in such a horrible condition. I will send pictures if you need them. The area around the van is nothing but dirt, or mud when it rains. The van itself has sunk almost to the bottom of the hubcaps. There is garbage all over the place; especially rusted tin cans (like soup cans). The other dog (German Shepard) still only has an overturned couch as a shelter.

That paragraph makes it sound like I live in the ghetto or something lol. It's only the people next door who live like that around here.

I'd also like to say that since I emailed you some time ago, their dog population has gone up to around 10 or 12.

Also the literal physical abuse hasn't stopped. I don't think I mentioned it in my last email. There is one dog, Penny, who appears to get the worst of it. She is a very cute dog, and it breaks my heart to see her literally beaten. Once she came over to our house (and ate our other dogs food). I was giving her some loving attention (i.e. petting) Let me tell you, it feels like she has scabs all over her.

On one occasion (maybe last fall), she was loose and went into the garage of the people across the street. They scared her out and she ran back over to her house. Well, the boy (around 17 years old) came out. He literally grabbed her by the throat and slammed her against the wall repeatedly while yelling at her.

The most recent physical abuse I witnessed was just a few minutes ago. It broke my heart so much that I just had to write to you again.

They got 4 or 5 kittens (just little things). They keep them in a cat/dog carrier all the time. They don't even let them out to go to the bathroom. In fact, one of the people that lives there was cleaning out the carrier when this happened. The boy I mentioned above was also out. I guess they were done cleaning the carrier. He went around and picked up each one of the kittens by the neck and literally threw them into the cage. He is the most abusive one there. It's really sickening.

Almost everyday there is something that happens to those poor dogs and cats that just rips my heart out. I really wish someone would do something about it all. I'm only 17 so there isn't much I can do except write to you hoping you will come and rescue these poor animals. It really is a shame that much complaining has been done by people who live around here, and nothing has been done.

I mean, it's really sad to say that I recently hoped that the dog tied to the van would die of thirst just so she wouldn't have to live in garbage and mud, and so she would stop suffering.

If you need anything like pictures or anything else, please ask.

I really wish you could/would do something about it,

Peter --------


It's really horrible.

Of course, I failed to mention I kill an average of 10 kittens a week from masturbating.

;)

8 comments:

Seth said...

Some people are really sick.

Mirrorboy said...

How could they do that to those poor animals? It's just disgusting.

Here's hoping something gets done about the abuse.

Aahsazyl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J said...

You might consider contacting your local animal warden directly, but don't get your hopes up. I'm convinced half of our government agencies are useless unless they're forced to take action. So here's what you should do: Take photos of the animals and the yard and bring them to the office of the local district attorney. Ask to meet with one of his assistants, show him or her the photos and tell the assistant (these people typically are young lawyers) that you would like to get the animal warden out there. I think that might get you some action, especially if you ask him to pick up the telephone right away and call up.
Of course, you and the neighbors could bring a nuisance action in the local courts, since this situation obviously impacts adversely on property values and the quality of life, but they may not want to stick their necks out and, depending on the remedies available in your courts, it might be cost prohibitive.
The main thing to remember is the old saying that the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing. I suspect you may be the only hope for these poor animals. Have you ever noticed that the only creatures that will love you unconditionally are dogs and your mother? Go do the right thing.

naturgesetz said...

It is so good of you to tr to get the responsible adults to do something about this situation.

It's amazing that people who hate animals this much would want to have them.

I can't add anything to the previous suggestions, but I definitely think having pictures to show is a good idea.

Lightning Baltimore said...

Heartbreaking, indeed! I'm proud of you for doing what you can to get the abuse stopped.

Anonymous said...

I really hate seeing things like this happen...
Over here we've taken to reporting the incidents to our local radio stations - It's amazing how fast some people can get to work when they start hearing their name and inaction reported over the airwaves to everyone.
It took about two months, but now the SPCA - society for pervention of cruelty to animals - works with the radio stations, and they go out together with a news reporter to every place that is reported and sort it out :-)

Graham

Col said...

Well done Peter!! Like Mr. HCI says... I'm proud of you for taking action! let's hope it gets resolved asap. Please keep us updated.

Take care,
Col