Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I've Got an Idea

If I said this to Dad, he would say, "Oh dear."

Well, I have a plan.

WARNING: Some information below contains terminology related to the National Hockey League, and the sport of hockey. Continue at your own risk.

It's that time of year in the NHL. Playoff time. If you aren't familiar with the way the playoff games are organized, then I guess I'll try to explain it.

Two teams play each other in a best of seven series. The team that wins 4 games, wins the series and goes on to play in the next series against another team. The losing team is eliminated from the playoffs. Games are usually played every other day. For example, Monday - Game, Tuesday - off, Wednesday - Game, etc

Okay, that's the shortened version of my original explanation. :D

Currently, the Pittsburgh Penguins, or Pens, are battling the Washington Capitols, or just Caps. They have duked it out for 6 games now. Tonight, the Caps tied the series at 3 wins each. The next game will be played on Wednesday. This final game in the series will decide which team will go on in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and which will be eliminated. As you can tell, it's going to be an especially tense game.

There is no better way to watch a tense game than with a room full of people and pizza right?

:D

Well, here's what I was thinking:

Why not order some a pizza from Pizza Hut and also some of their pasta stuff (which I LOVE)? All of this will feed a small group of people. Okay, so this is a little bit unusual thinking for me. But guess why I thought of it?

Figured it out yet?

Okay, I'll give you a hint. The key word starts with the letter "A" and ends with the letter "X." Yeah, get it now? ;)

Why not invite him over and have a little pizza party or whatever you want to call it? He loves watching hockey. He will be watching this game anyway. He loves pizza (especially from Pizza Hut). So why not combine the two on Wednesday in my living room (or maybe my bedroom ;) haha jk) in front of our TV?

Problems:

1. I think Alex likes watching the hockey game with his Dad. Not sure why.

We can't invite his Dad over cos he has a cat allergy. He probably wouldn't come anyway.

2. Alex probably has baseball practice that night, or maybe even a game. I don't really know. Practice or even a game is usually over half way through the hockey game. Maybe even sooner. Just depends on when it starts.

3. This problem is the most important one, and the same one that always occurs when I try to plan something involving him.

He will never let me know whether he is interested or not. And that is what really irritates me.

You know, he has never replied to my email or txts about the lawn mowing job I was offering. He hasn't even mentioned it in person.

Grrr

That's the one thing I really can't stand about him.

For instance, last year we planned (in advance) to do a camp out thing. Well I got the tent and everything out, but not set up. Somehow he failed to tell me that he couldn't do it because he had to get up early (which it really wasn't early at all) to go to New York and visit his cousin for the weekend. I repeatedly sent him texts, but he didn't respond to any of them until I sent a rather angry one the next morning. He then finally told me that he was going away for the weekend.

That whole episode really pissed me off...which is needless to say.

Anywho, this post is really getting off topic. I guess I'm just trying to illustrating how all my plans involving him fall through.

Ha, and don't get me started on the trip I was planning last summer to go to Kennywood (amusement part in Pittsburgh) for a day with Alex, Mom, and two brothers and their girlfriends.


Okay, the more I think about it the more I think this plan is going to fall through too... like always.

Not sure why I even came up with the idea in the first place.

I guess I can ask Alex tomorrow if he's interested, but I can guarantee he doesn't respond to my txt msg.




Wow. I just proofread this post. It went from a happy and upbeat tone in the beginning, to a gloomy one at the end.

Sorry about that.

7 comments:

naturgesetz said...

Well it's good to have realistic expectations.

But no harm in asking, as long as it's okay with your dad for you to have the pizza party.

If you're really lucky, A––x will let you know before you have to order the pizza.

Steevo said...

...guess i'm getting "old"... i do txt but it is not my primary communication mode. Look him in the eyes and ASK and wait for an answer ffs. You know, old fashioned face to face direct talking?

He may be a flake, disorganized and generally oblivious to 90% of what goes on around him... idk...


???

Anonymous said...

I was thinking what was said before... Ask him in person or call him. That way you can have an easier way of judging his reaction, and most likely a response right away.

Sure texting is easier to do. I think it is because you can say stuff you don't have the nerve to say but it's also bad in that way. It allows the other person the oppertunity to not reply. Get some courage and ask in person, I mean it's only to come over and hang out.

Oh and you forgot another potential problem: the caps are gonna win. Sorry but it's true. And that's comming from a real hockey fan ( lol jk)

torchy! said...

exactly what the other's say. if you're serious about the invite, ask him in person. also make him understand that you're not gonna order pizza if he doesn't let you know by a deadline.

you've already established that txting alex is an ineffective means of communication so don't rely on it for anything remotely important, where it matters if you don't get an answer.

idk if fear is the reason you don't ask in person, but if so, you *have to* overcome it if you're gonna progress in any relationship. sorry to be blunt Peter, but i think you know that already. if fear isn't the reason, then oops!

take care and good luck when you ask him face to face
torchy!

J said...

What have you got to lose?

Anonymous said...

Do it. But I agree with Steevo and everyone else - get rid of the techno-crutch, walk across the street and ask him face to face. Nothing to lose....

sorry to say but I'm rooting for the Caps :-/

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
Note that I'm actually commenting and not emailing you for a change...

Anywayz, I agree with the others.
Go over and ask Alex face to face.
Sure person to person stuff is always harder than texting, but that's because it's personal, and often more 'real' than texting.

Especially with something like this where you'd be ordering food etc. you want to be sure someone is coming and not waste.

Oh, and why not ask some other guys over too... In the same way as Alex has other friends over, I urge you to do the same. Sure, he's the primary focus of your attention at the moment, but I think it'd be a good thing to invite other friends over every now and then too.

oh, and clear it with your dad first... :-)

Wow - almost as long as my emails to you hey?
G