I was reading this article on AOL just now. I actually didn't read the article, but skipped down to the comments. I've come to the conclusion that we (gay people) are fighting a seemingly losing battle against the gay haters out there.
I can't tell you how mad I am right now after reading those comments. The only comments I liked were the ones from me, and some other gay people.
*blood starts to boil*
::EDIT::
You're all right. It isn't a losing battle after all. I guess I wasn't really thinking about the big picture such as Maine allowing gay marriage. It might not be a losing battle, but it sure is going to be a long one.
7 comments:
Check out my blog what conferences polish Catholics are organizing.
Peter,
You are overreacting a lot. You are too young to have EXPERIENCED THE "OLD days".
Did you see Milk? The opening scenes are from the 50s.
It is 1000x better now. Read some accurate history. There will always be asshole homophobes. Their numbers are decreasing. And many keep their opinions to themselves because it is not popular to be a bigot in many places.
I am sure you will hear from others.
Progress to date does not help Mathew Shepard, or 13 year olds who kill themselves for the way they are bullied at school.
There is much to do in the future, but the social progress is inevitable as the old phobes die off and are replaced with your generation.
Hang in there. Someday you will be able to help more directly. You already do good things here, even if you don't know it.
Look at the big picture of the civil rights movement. Our time is now.
anon elder
Any AOL News article with a gay element will bring out the haters in droves. It's best to try to either just not read the comments or try to laugh at how idiotic the commentors are.
Mr HCI sums it up neatly. The article itself displays a bias. I was drawn to "however, he has an ulterior motive" - hardly objective reporting.
I've just ploughed thro' some 1500 comments, and can see where you're coming from. You're still young, probably sensitive to those views. I'm a lot older, frankly I found some comments sad, some ludricous, but overall, totally out of touch with society as it is today.
I suggest you read anon elder's comment (several times) about how times are changing.
Peter,
Soz, I missed this off my comment, but NO, it's not a losing battle.
Peter--Things are much better than even six years ago. The best proof was the 2003 US Supreme Court decision in Lawrence v. Texas that declared unconstitutional the prosecution of gays for private consentual sodomy. That decision was surprisingly well received across the board, and it was handed down by a very conservative court. You can't judge this progress by the random comments of idiot flamers on an AOL comment board.
Peter
i agree that hte comments are form haters but they are not the majority of soceity. After reading Mr.odgens thoughts he gives inspiration screw what idiots think
take care and be safe
bob
Post a Comment